Chapter 20: The Commitment

Start from the beginning

"Wait... That makes no sense. How am I driving home from some Twilight Zone universe?"

Maddy smiled. "Even when you're mad, you can be funny. I like that."

Still irked, Stanley crossed his arms. If you think you're going to charm your way out of this, you're nuts.

"No, of course not," she continued. "Driving was a lie, but at no point would we ever have left you stranded over there. The plan, which you were completely unaware of, was to have our agent bring you back after the final bet was over, regardless if you won or lost. The complications arose, after your...shall we say, meltdown occurred."

"Agent? What agent? I didn't see any agent!"

"Oh, he was there. Agent Herrara Jumped several hours after you did. He was monitoring you and everything else that was going on. The surveillance information he was recording would have supplemented the data that Lynn just extracted from you."

Did he hear that right? "Would have?"

"Well, yes. He's dead. Once your situation unraveled and the Ministry was alerted, Agent Herrera was trapped and had to self-terminate."

Jesus...

"There's more. Herrera's primary job was to bring you home after your casino wagers were complete. Obviously he never got that chance."

Stanley exhaled. Great. Thanks for dumping a guilt trip in my lap.

"And just so there is absolutely no confusion, Herrera's last transmission informed us of your 'situation'. At that point, we put together a plan to come get you. Ultimately, that contingency became unnecessary once the Ministry sent you back within hours."

Stanley looked away so as to avoid meeting her gaze.

Maddy demonstrably shifted her position in her chair. Stanley assumed the move was an attempt to regain his attention.

"Look, Stanley, I'm not trying to make you feel guilty." The Director paused, seemingly waiting for him to make eye contact with her. Stanley refused. After a few seconds, the Director continued, "Agent Herrera did his job well. We are proud of him. And believe me, we understand how the Ministry's ongoing practice of social and economic repression irreparably hurt you and millions of others. We are genuinely happy that we're in a position to help you turn your life around. I've only known your family for a short while but I can genuinely say that we want the best for all the Dials. Take a good look around you. Your family is decompressing from all the stress they've been under for the past few years. You're all finally safe. The Ministry won't find you here. And if they somehow did, we have plenty of resources and ways to protect you and your family for the rest of your lives. Of course, you are still free to leave anytime you wish. However, that might not be in your family's best interest given the circumstances."

Stanley knew she was right. And maybe they could learn to start over. The kids were definitely loving life out here with paintball, basketball, and now fishing and waterskiing today. The Director was spoiling them badly. And deep down he was thankful for every minute of it. Even Maria seemed at ease. The one thing she cared about more than anything was for the family to remain together. Out here, that was possible. Out here, he also was a bio-genetic rock star, at least as far as time travel was concerned. Still, he had questions, and he deserved answers.

He looked up. "I want to know more."

"I am sure you do," responded Maddy, "and I'll help get you the answers you need."

"Seriously?"

"Absolutely, Stanley. Whatever questions I cannot answer myself, we will find you someone who can. As far as we are concerned, you and your family are part of our family now, and real families are built on trust. There is only one catch," she added.

Naturally, of course there's a catch!

"You can ask us anything, and if we have the answers you seek we will not mislead you or keep you in the dark any longer. However," she locked her gaze with his, "if this is indeed what you want, you will have to become one of us. Your family will not have to make that choice right now, but you will. There is no way out once you cross that threshold. You will have one way out but it will end your life. You will carry this exit clause with you at all times. For the sake of humanity, the Ministry cannot learn what we know and what we can do. This is the sacred bond we all share. It is something we all have accepted. If you are to become one of us, you too will have to take on this responsibility. Do you want to continue, Stanley Dial?"

Stanley swallowed hard as he contemplated the ramifications of what she just dumped on him. What choice do I really have? Finally, he said, "Deep stuff, Director...but yes, I'm willing to make that commitment."

"Outstanding. Then let's proceed."