Chapter 23: The New Alliance Formulates a Plan

Gus looked at his watch again. Why are criminals always paranoid? He'd set up this meeting in an open-air café at the request of Cranston and already noticed three spotters canvassing the location. All of this painfully transparent cloak-and-dagger was silly, but Gus could tolerate it. Don't they know what I do for a living? Maybe they think this is all a set-up... But it wasn't.

It was a small inconvenience to pay if he ended up getting what he needed from these people. With Cranston's no-nonsense attitude, Gus hoped to get this over with quickly. It was his neck on the line since he'd be making assurances the Ministry could never officially agree to. Even so, the whole ordeal was still annoying...

Finally, Gus spotted Jack Cranston heading towards the café. He stood up as Cranston approached the table.

"I am glad you could make it, Jack."

They shook hands and sat down, Cranston at an off-angle to the round table. Within seconds a waitress approached them.

Before she had a chance to utter a word, Cranston said, "Coffee. Black."

"Anything else?" She looked from one to the other.

"No," they replied simultaneously.

Cranston waited for the waitress to get out of earshot. "I spoke to my people. They're willing to help you to a point. It all depends on what you're offering."

"Fair enough,'' responded Gus. "We're prepared to leave you to your own devices. No interference. Of course, there'll need to be limits, but if your people act reasonably, you will not even know we exist."

"What sort of limits?"

"Well, for one, no public violence will be tolerated. Nothing directed towards us obviously, and no other public acts that would require a response from our people. Business transactions and other affairs conducted in a quiet, private manner will be none of our concern."

Cranston didn't respond as the waitress placed the black coffee on the table and disappeared again. He took a sip and stared across the street. Gus took a deep breath, sat back in his chair, and waited patiently. More games. Fine. I have all day if need be...

After several more seconds, Cranston finally broke the silence. "What would be the scope and duration of such a Ministry-wide policy?"

"National, and until we get what we want."

"And then what, back to 'normal'?" said Cranston with a smug smile.

"It doesn't have to be that way, no," responded Gus. "If you permanently turn your back on the Underground and others like them, we could form a very powerful long-term alliance. Contrary to popular belief, the Ministry likes peace and quiet. We simply want to keep things moving forward, as is. Up until now, your Organization has decided to help those who do not share our vision of social tranquility. Should this change, we'd welcome you to our cause. We want to bring down the Underground, once and for all. If you help us do this and remain committed to helping us keep the social order, you and your colleagues will find that the Ministry can be quite an accommodating partner."

Cranston still stared into the distance. "We can do this if you have the authority to grant what you speak of."

"Oh, I certainly do." Of course, this was not entirely the truth since what Gus had described would indeed become Ministry practice, just not official policy. His unofficial promise also presumed that these thugs would fully cooperate and deliver the Underground as promised which, at this point, was anything but a certainty.

"Before we go any further," Gus continued, "I need to know that your people are fully committed and will see this through to completion. We also need to be sufficiently convinced that your Organization's contributions to the cause will be sufficient to get the job done."

Cranston took yet another long sip. "That will not be a problem," he said as he placed the cup on its saucer.

"Still, if you wouldn't mind, please indulge me."

Cranston picked up on the mild smugness in Lebanchek's reply. He didn't like this guy. Turning his chair, he looked directly at Lebanchek. "We can live with the offer. But let's not play games. We have what you want. No, we have what you need. You should have no concerns about our ability to deliver these people to you. They have no idea whatsoever that we know what we know. And of course, we intend to keep it that way. I, personally, have the trust of top people throughout their Organization. We will not underestimate their adaptability, guile, and intelligence. Advice you'd also be well-served to take. After years of interactions, we have ways to make them unravel. Completely. Of course, the only way we'll do this is our way. This is our offer. Take it or leave it."

This time Lebanchek looked away. During the silence, the waitress returned and asked if they wanted anything else.

"No," Lebancheck responded without looking up, "we're both satisfied, thank you."