13. scared

Saturday I walk to the park with my camera in my hands. On my way, I think about random things that are in the past.

When I was about three or four I tried to eat a box of tacks. You think I would be old enough to resist the colorful objects. Well, no.. They weren't even the colorful kind. I had a mouth full of clear tacks chewing them up.

I don't remember it happening but my parents explained it to me hundreds of times. My mouth was bleeding but I wasn't crying I was just trying to eat them. My mom was scared I swallowed some but apparently, I didn't.

When I was ten I cried in a gas station because I thought I got lost but my parents were just on the other aisle.

At age 2 I got lost in the woods and it took hours to find me but I don't remember that at all. I have a lot of stories I barely remember from my childhood. Well, I'm only 17 right now so it wasn't too long ago.

I think of silly moments for a little while until I'm at the park. I sit on a bench fixing my white shorts and a pink crop top.

Five years ago was the worst memory I have but it's to most prominent memory. It's why I'm scared to be in a room with no windows. One night I woke up to hearing my foster sister screaming.

There was smoke coming from my door but I ignored it and ran to my door. I coughed as the horrible smoke came into my lungs. When I grabbed my doorknob it burned me and I couldn't get out.

"Kailey! What's happening!?" I yell as I hear her frantic in the room next to mine.

"I'm locked in the bathroom!" She screams Horsley. I cough more and I can hear fire behind my door. My sister screaming and the other noises set me into a panic attack.

"Kellin- im- I'm going to die," she yells but coughs in between some words.

"No, no you're not!? Kailey!" I yell hearing her cough violently. Fire crawls onto my wall and I back up from the door.

She starts screaming terror and pain in her voice. I scream her name over and over as I hear her bang against the walls to get out of our small bathroom. "I'm on fire!" She screams Horsley and it almost sounds like a creature screaming, not my lovely sister.

"Come here," a males voice says and I look at my window that's being opened by a firefighter. There's no windows in the bathroom.

I look at the fire that's taking over my room and hear my sister's fading screams. Shes not thrashing around anymore. I cough more and then feel someone grab me and I scream and cry trying to getaway. I want to save my sister.

Instead, I'm carried out by a firefighter through my window. My parents hug me as I cry for my sister. It's a full thirty minutes before my sister is taken out of the house. The skin on her burnt off and she's unconscious. Later I would find out we were dead and died twenty minutes before she was taken out.

I watch the kids happily play in the grass throwing a frisbee. I swallow hard and close my eyes looking up. I won't cry. I'm stronger than that.

After a few minutes of thinking positive things, I'm back to happy and carefree. I go over to the squirrels and they bark at me. "I told you I was sorry," I whine and movement at the base of the tree makes me look down.

My heart melts and I drop to my knees and look at the baby animal.

"Don't touch it, its sick and will die," a lady says. I'm always a sweet person so I don't get mad at her.

"It might not die, I'm taking them home," I say not giving it a gender because I don't know what it goes by.

"I wouldn't do that. Squirrels are nasty and that one is definitely going to die-"

"Please shut the fuck up?" I say in a sweet voice and smile but my eyes glare at her.

She does I'm fact shut up and storms off. I turn back to the baby squirrel. I take off my jacket/shall and fold it up neatly. I carefully move the creature onto it and gently pick it up.

"puis-je emmener votre bébé et essayer de l'aider?"

can I take your baby and try to help them?

No squirrels bark at me so I take that as a yes. I walk home slowly watching the baby. "I'll make sure you don't die from your sickness. I believe in you, you're stronger than what people think," I softly comfort it.

When I get home I show my mom and tell her about the lady and my thoughts on it. "I'll go get a cage and pick up some stuff for it. I love you, baby. That sweet creature will live if god lets it. We'll do everything we can to keep it alive and I believe it will get better," she says getting emotional.

I smile and take it upstairs to name it and do some research on taking care of squirrels. I really hope this squirrel lives and loves me...

I feel really connected to this baby squirrel...

I love it so much

New thoughts?

Does anyone dislike chapters without Oli in it? Like was this okay?