Chapter Twenty - Conscience

As the kids exit the Rose Room and head towards their bedrooms for a nap, I remind them, "Don't forget to practice, okay?"

My gaze searches the room for the young Asian-American boy, whom I find dragging himself towards the door with a slouch. "Especially you, Julian!"

"Yes, Sophia," the boy replies with a sullen tone. Julian has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard. Unfortunately, he has an incredibly low self-esteem.

Walking over to him, I place a hand on his shoulder. "Hey." The brown-haired boy stops and raises his gaze at me. Kneeling down, I continue, "You have a beautiful voice, Julian. You know that, right?"

"You think so?" he replies, his voice lightens up a little.

"I know so." I smile. "You just have to believe in yourself, okay?"

He gives a small nod. "Okay. Thanks, Sophia."

"No problem," I reply and he continues walking towards the door. This time, his back straightens up as he walk with slightly more confidence than before.

Right when I'm about to stand up, Jigsaw storms towards me and hugs me tight. I blink repeatedly, not knowing what to do. Then, in all awkwardness, I give her a few pats on her back.

Releasing me from her hug, she says, "Thanks for today, Sophia! You're an awesome singer!"

I smile widely. "Thanks."

"See ya next week?" she asks, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

I'm not sure why, but there isn't any hesitation in my voice when I reply, "Absolutely."

"Bye!" she shouts before dashing out of the room.

On the corner of my eyes, I see Dylan heading towards me, hands tucked inside his pocket jeans. Gazing at the little kids, he asks me, "So? What do you think?"

"Not bad," I answer, standing up.

"Liar." Dylan giggles a little, seeing right through my lie.

The truth is, he was right. Today has been the most fun day I've had in a long time. I never thought that helping those kids with their upcoming performance could help me forget all of my problems. In the middle of the practice, Mrs. O'Malley is even kind enough to invite us for lunch — and boy, she is one hell of a cook!

Maybe it's the kids' innocence or their kindness that moves me, or maybe it's because I'm actually doing something good for once. Whatever it is, right now I feel... amazing.

Of course, I have no intention of showing that to Dylan. "Well, I wasn't lying when I said I'm a terrific singer now, was I?" I flash a grin at him as I pick up the stack of foam puzzle mats from the floor and head to the closet.

"Alright, alright. My bad." With a small smile, he raises his hands as a signal of his defeat. "So, why'd you quit then?"

The question causes my arms to weaken in an instant and the mats I'm holding is inadvertently fallen to the ground. The cold air slowly starts to suffocate me as memories of my downfall begin to resurface.

That last practice, those mocking expressions, and that doomed video.

Yes. That video that fucking bastard made and bragged to his friends.

Cold sweat fall from my temple as I feel my hands and legs are shaking. In a split second, it's like my life is draining out of me.

No, no. Not again, Sophia. Don't you dare go back to that moment!

Just. Don't.

The next thing I know, my whole body weakens and I'm falling to the ground. I try to fight the gravity, but I can't. My whole body feels numb and helpless.