Chapter Fourteen - Bar Fight

This is the worst night ever.

By the time I return to the bar, Romeo is no longer there. So, I walk around the room to search for him. After minutes of getting bumped around by the crowd like a pinball and almost squeezed into someone's armpit, I finally find him. But what I see makes my jaw drop to the ground. A fit of dull anger surges into me when I see he's now pinning a girl against the wall, their tongues super-glued to each other. One of his hands is squeezing her butt – which, unlike me, she seems to enjoy it – while the other is traveling down her private parts.

Why does this keep happening to me? What am I? A magnet for jerks?

I let out a heavy sigh and shake my head. It takes a while before I can pull myself together and return to the dance floor. When I finally do, disappointment and doubts about myself continue to haunt me. I suppose it affects my dancing because, after that, no other boys approach me. Minutes pass by and I feel like giving up. The laser lights spinning around me make me dizzy and the loud music begins to make my head pound. I drag myself back to the bar where I spot an empty seat.

Plopping myself on the stool, a heavy sigh escapes my mouth. I rest my elbows on the table and drop my chin onto my palm. I guess partying isn't really my thing.

"Can I get you anything?" the bartender asks.

I'm not exactly thirsty, but I suppose it'd be rude to sit here without ordering anything. So, I say, "Yeah, one Diet Coke, please."

The Malibu that Romeo ordered for me tasted great, but I don't feel like taking another sip of alcohol tonight. The bartender returns shortly with a small glass of Diet Coke. As I take a sip on my drink, the music comes to an end and a loud announcement from the stage causes me to look over my shoulder.

"And now, all the way from London, give it up for DJ... James... Higgins!" the sound reverberates throughout the room and it is greeted by the crowd's excited, loud cheer. A bearded man with long blonde hair steps up to the stage and the crowd's cheer goes even louder. The man's neon orange oversized T-shirt and neon green baggy pants make him literally glow in the dark. He's also sporting a backward cap and a pair of sunglasses. Really? Sunglasses in a dark place like this?

Then, he starts to spin the records and the crowd dances to the tune. To be honest, I don't think the man's remix is that good. In fact, I prefer the previous DJ's remixes. But people seem to enjoy the currently played music better. With a small shrug, I turn around and return my gaze to the glass that I'm holding.

"Sam," a boy takes his seat beside me and calls the bartender. "I'll have the usual one."

The usual one? He must go to this place a lot, huh? Probably like that jerk Romeo.

"You got it, Nate," the bartender replies. He returns with a small glass of Cola, causing an amused smile to form on the corner of my lips. It's nice to see someone – a boy, nonetheless – opts for the same non-alcohol drink as I did.

Out of curiosity, I turn my head to the side a little, trying to see what kind of a person he is. At first glance, he looks like an ordinary, simple boy who doesn't seem to belong in a place like this. His smooth, dark brown locks are cut neatly just below his ear, framing his egg-shaped face nicely, while his short, side bangs cover a part of his narrow forehead – a fairly simple haircut compared to other boys' more sophisticated or rather outrageous hair in this place. 

Hmm... Why does this boy look familiar? I narrow my eyes and tilt my head to the side as I continue to observe him. He has a cute button nose and slightly plump cheeks that give him a youthful, boy-next-door look. Where have I seen this boy before?