Chapter Five - The Makeover

Our first stop for the day is Francis' Salon, a small hair salon which Sophia recommends. The owner, Francis Francis, is a man on his late-30s who clearly stands out in the crowd. Well, his buck teeth are one strong reason, but mostly because of his choice of wardrobe. The skinny man is wearing a bright orange floral shirt and a pair of tight leather pants. His dark hair is slicked back with a lot of hair gel on.

"So, what do we have here?" Francis says with a slightly campy voice. He gives a smile at my reflection on the mirror and I force myself to give a polite smile, trying to hide my nervousness.

"Let's see..." He undoes my ponytail, revealing my thick, long hair.

To be honest? I'm starting to freak out. Here I am, sitting in a hair salon, not knowing what I will look like when I step out of the place. What if Dylan is right and Sophia intentionally makes me look ugly?

"Okay," Sophia nods, placing her fingers under her chin, "I need something bold, something edgy, something... a lot less her."

My brows are drawn together as my lips form a pout. With a sure smile, Francis replies, "Pixie then."

"No!" I scream in horror, my loud voice makes everyone jolt back.

Dylan – who is sitting on a chair near me – snorts loudly as he holds back his laughter. Through the reflection on the mirror, I can see the old lady who is having her hair curled a couple of seats next to me is looking at me with confused eyes.

I purse my lips together and flash an apologetic smile. Lowering my voice, I continue, "I mean, please don't cut my hair that short."

"But darling," Francis replies, placing his hand on my shoulder and observing my reflection in the mirror, "You'll look absolutely gorgeous with it."

"Well... It's just that... I don't think I'll be ready for that big of a change."

"Hmm..." he mutters, narrowing his eyes and placing his fingers right under his mouth. Then, he slowly circles me, his eyes are observing me from head to toe while trying to find the right hair cut for me.

My heart begins to pound louder and louder. I am simply terrified. I can't help but feel like a guinea pig for them.

He takes a strand of my hair and folds it, placing his fingers about three inches below my shoulder. "This long, then?"

Hmm. That's actually not bad. With a small smile, I nod. "Okay."

He replies with a contented smile. "And how about some hair dye?" Francis asks.

Hair dye? I guess I can work with that. After all, I've always wanted to color my hair, I was just too busy to have the time to do it before.

"Sure." I give a few small nods.

Francis and Sophia turn to look at each other, seemingly surprised at my agreement, before they give an amused nod. In the meantime, the receptionist lady brings me a complimentary tea. After thanking her, I take a few sips on the warm chamomile tea.

"Okay, then!" Francis claps his hand before throwing them on the air. "How about rainbow?"

Some of the tea is spat out of my mouth and my eyes almost pop out in an instant. Once again, Dylan tries to stifle his laughter, but this time, a few loud chuckles escape his mouth.

"I'm guessing that's a no?" Francis asks, his expressions turn empathetic.

I inhale before shaking my head. "A big one."

"How about... bubblegum pink?"

"I... was thinking something a little bit more natural?"

"Hmm..." He narrows his eyes, tilting his head to the side a little before he nods to himself. "I think I have just the right style for you."