Chapter 34

Months later, February 1970

-

In the delivery room stood just the nurses and my doctor. Sodapop didn't show up. I was halfway through giving birth to our son before he burst through the door though. "I'm here," he panted.

"Get out!" I yelled at him. I didn't mean to yell but I was also in pain. That startled the nurses and some of them moved him out of the room. I heard him yelling in the hall but I didn't care. He's not my husband anymore. My water broke hours ago too. I was with the Coyotes and it just happened. If he was on time he'd get to be in the room with me. It's not like news got to him any later than anyone else.

-

My baby was set in my arms and I felt bad for not being totally happy and bawling about it. I love this kid with all that's inside of me, but obvious factors were off.

After about ten minutes alone with the baby, I allowed people to meet him. First was Wiley and Steve since they're my best friends. Pony and Darry, the uncles, went next. Slowly two by two I let people see my boy. Except Sodapop. I didn't want to allow him to with me in the room. It'd bring back old feelings that I don't want. That sounds petty but he wasn't there for any of my pregnancy. He left me to my vices and found an apartment to live in one week after I revealed my pregnancy. The divorce papers were finalized two months later. He can see him when he's in the nursery so I don't have to be there.

"Do we have a name Mrs. Curtis?" my nurse asked me.

I looked at her and sighed, "yeah. It's Spencer. Spencer Bovino." I decided mid labor that I'd name my kid after Wiley. After all, I'm the only one who ever calls him Spencer still and even that's when I'm mad at him. Which is rare. And I may have Sodapop's last name still, but my son isn't getting it. I told the nurses to let Wiley in. "Can you guess his name?" I smiled at him.

"Uhh," he sat next to me and smiled at the baby. "I don't know, Mike?"

I rolled my eyes and laughed. "No. This is Spencer. Or Spence." I moved the wrapped blanket slightly and smiled down at my son. "You're my best friend, Wiles."

Wiley was quiet for a moment then leaned down closer to the baby, "this little thing is named after me?" he grinned. "Dude, we're gonna have so much fun when you can actually understand me."

I rolled my eyes again and smiled, "he'll love you. I'll make sure of it."

The unexpected then happened. As I smiled at Wiley he was still staring at Spencer and it painted the cutest picture, But when he looked at me again, our faces slowly got closer. When we kissed it didn't last long but we both smiled and didn't say a word about it. We both knew there was nothing to say.

"Can I hold him?" He asked. I glanced at Wiley and shot him a scolding look. "Please?"

I sat up the bit I could and slowly handed Spencer off to Wiley. He took him in his arms and smiled smugly at the kid. I rolled my eyes and nudged him. "You ain't getting my son in any kind of trouble, Wiley."

"We'll see," he chuckled and stared at the baby.

-

A couple days later

-

While signing the birth certificate, Sodapop begged but I didn't let him. He can be in the baby's life. But it won't be as the father I know Sodapop is capable of being. That ship sailed. My name was on the birth certificate as his mother and his father was left blank. Parts of me wanted Wiley to sign it but that'd piss Sodapop off even more. He doesn't know we're dating yet and we plan on telling in front of everyone. Oh yes, me and Wiley started dating after that kiss. We talked about it, and agreed that even if it doesn't work out, we're both adults, he'll always love Spencer even if it'll not be the dad role and we will always be friends.