Chapter 1

Summer 1964
-
Sodapop's POV
-
Steve was staring Elle up and down and I didn't like it at all. So, yes, Elle and I are seeing each other. We have decided to keep it a secret, but when my best friend is making eyes at my girlfriend I can't help but think this whole secrecy thing is a bad idea...

She was standing over with Dally and Johnny, her hair tied up, her skirt real short, the sun hitting her skin just perfectly, making her look more than beautiful. But I can't say a damn thing to make anything about our relationship obvious. If I yell at Steve, they'll think I have a crush on her, if they think I have a crush on her, they'll be getting ideas about how often we're around each other. Not ideal.

Elle glanced over her shoulder and Steve looked away, I rolled my eyes and turned away as well. She knows I don't like her wearing outfits that the boys will get mouthy to. She has a great body, and she likes to show it off a little too much. I glanced back in her direction and she waved her fingertips at me and gave me a subtle wink.

I didn't react. I stuffed my hands into my pockets and sat on the cement. There's supposed to be a fight between Dal and some other guy later today, Dally got caught doin' some stuff with his little sister and he wasn't too happy about it. No chain, weapons, or help, just them two and their bare hands. The guy, I don't know his name, looks to be cowering out. The fight was supposed to be at 5 pm sharp, no one from his gang has shown up and it's 15 past 5.

"Sometimes I wish Elle wasn't such a good friend, you know what I mean? That broad's got it," Steve sat down next to me and rubbed his hands together.

I huffed under my breath and looked at him "don't be gross. She sees you guys as brothers and you know that."

"I know, man, but just imagine," he tilted my face towards her direction, "just imagine having that under you."

I shoved his arms away from me and shook my head, "I don't wanna imagine myself fucking our friend," I stood up and headed towards the rest of the gang.

Good timing, because a couple cars drove up. A tall, lean greaser got out of the driver seat and spit his chewing tobacco into the dirt. Dally shoved his jacket into Johnny's arms and emptied his pockets into Elle's hands, took one last huff of his cigarette then dropped it to the dirt and crushed it with his foot.

"Baker," Dallas grumbled and cracked his knuckles.

A girl got out of the passenger seat and walked towards Dally, "I tried to talk him out of it, I swear," she grabbed his hand but he shook her away and walked towards her brother.

"Are you okay?" Elle stood next to me and watched Dallas like the rest of us.

I looked at her, "Steve wants to fuck you," I then looked away again, "that took so much self-control not to yell at him for hitting on you from afar."

"Well," she kicked the dirt, "I'm sorry but we can't do anything about it."

I watched Dally smack talk the guy he was about to fight. Dally is more fit, but this other guy is cocky and doesn't know what he's getting himself into. Dally rounded around the guy, eyeing him up and down as he slurred words through his gridded teeth. He's trying to get into the guy's head.

"Y'know..." Dally began, "your little sister man..." He chuckled briefly, "she really knows how to ride," Dally ran his fingers through his hair, "she gave me one hell of a night, and man I had that broad screaming."

"Shut up!" The older brother of Dal's broad yelled at him. It all began to happen so quickly. He turned around, socked Dally in the face and it began a real rough beating, in Dal's favor of course.

Dally immediately brought out his muscle. The guy's face began bleeding, Dally sat himself on his chest and compressed his arms behind his back as he punched the hell out of him. What can we say... Dally's a street fighter, and this Baker guy chose the wrong hood to fuck with.

Some of the guy's buddies began shoving Dallas, forcing him away so that was our cue to square up. The two girls around, Dally's girl and Elle, backed up towards the cars to avoid getting hit in the crossfire.

A full force rumble broke out between both our gangs. We were outnumbered, with only 7 of us, 10 or 11 of them. I kept an eye on Ponyboy, made sure he wasn't getting ganged up on being he's the smallest. Darry was able to fight off two at a time, I had only one but Steve and Two-bit both had two, as well as Dallas had 2.

"C'mon, Darry, we're outnumbered and if we aren't careful they gonna start to go for Elle or team on Pony," I fought off a guy as I begged Darry to stop this.

The guy that was on me, heard what I feared, stopped going after me and charged at Elle. She immediately looked at me, she had pure fear in her eyes. Some of his friends yelled at him, told him to "leave the broad alone" but he grabbed a hold of Elle. Bad idea. Elle has an older brother in his 20s, and if he gets word of someone attacking her, that's the end for them. Just before he was able to hit her or anything, I brought out the protective boyfriend in me and started beating the shit out of him.

The fights stopped, Darry and Pony grabbed Elle to get her into the car and Steve, Two and another guy, one from the other gang tried getting me off the dude that went for Elle.

"He's already passed out, Soda, stop!" Steve pulled at my shoulders.

"Get off him, man! He barely touched her!" His friend yelled. I looked down at the bloody mess then stood off of the unconscious greaser.

"Don't fuck with our girl," I tucked my beat-up fists into my shirt and winced as the fabric stung the cuts. Steve set his hand on my shoulder and nudged me towards the car, Two-bit followed and the rest of the gang waited for us at the car.

"Sodapop," Elle grabbed my wrist when I tried walking past the car. I looked at her, "thank you."

"He should have known not to touch you. Even his gang was telling him to leave you be and he still grabbed you, ready to turn you into blood and bruises like he didn't think we'd react in any way."

"I'll call you," she mouthed and got into Darry's car. I nodded my head and walked down the street.

"That was badass back there," Dally pat my shoulder and chuckled, "hell, I wouldn't have sweat it that much. She's a grease, she can fight."

"She's a 120-pound girl with very little fighting experience outside of school hair pulling and slamming girl's heads into lockers. That guy was at least 70 pounds heavier than her, obviously stronger than her. I wasn't gonna let him touch her."

"Ah, got a little crush on Elle, don't you?" He nudged and took a cigarette out of his coat pocket that he'd gotten back.

"No, but Steve does," I shrugged and held out my hand in asking for a cig too.

𝘙𝘌𝘋 (The Outsiders) ·Sodapop Curtis· [Finished] जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें