Chapter 16

Sodapop's POV

-

"I don't want to fight with her no more, Steve," I approached the DX after I had left Elle's house. Steve was working on filling up a Socs car.

Steve glanced back at me and leaned against the post, "what'd she do this time?"

I didn't want to say. It's embarrassing to tell my best friend that my girlfriend has been and ultimately could be cheating on me. I feel like I have to be around her at all times now to keep her and check. She's my girlfriend, and I'm supposed to trust her, and that used to not be a problem but I'm not sure if I do anymore.

"Buddy?" Steve waved in front of my face so I brought myself back into it.

"Just... Normal couple stuff." I turned myself away and walked to the DX building to take my place back at the register.

A couple minutes passed and Steve came inside too, "I don't know what normal couple stuff means, Soda. What's up?"

"It's difficult to explain, Steve."

"Hey, I may not be talking to her right now but I still know who she is. And who she is, is anything but a difficult person." He leaned against the counter and began sucking on a lollipop.

I sighed, "you know she slept with Dallas, and that's why Peter ran him out of town, but she doesn't know that I know she slept with a Coyote who is eight years older than her, and now I just caught her flirting with another Coyote. Plus who knows what she was doing with that ManPatt when he brought her over after Luther beat her?" Steve didn't say anything so I shook my head and chewed on my bottom lip. "My point is I feel like I'm losing her and that's the worst possible thing that could happen."

Steve opened his mouth to speak but then paused for a long moment, "why are you still with her? She cheated on you."

"I understood the first two, Dallas and the Coyote. She did both of them for a reason. Slept with Dal so she could keep us a secret and slept with the Coyote to get the pup burn off of her."

Steve rolled his eyes and made his way towards the door since a car pulled up to get gas, "she's playing you, man." He walked out and I was left alone again. I hit my fist against the counter and groaned. Of course, I know Steve is right but at the same time, I don't want to believe him.

-

I was sitting against the wall outside smoking a cigarette while on my break. Steve was in the garage working on a car and this hour is always pretty slow when it comes to customers.

I saw Elle walking towards the DX so I sighed and prepared for whatever she had to say. I then noticed Peter was following slightly behind her with his car. He didn't have any Coyotes thankfully. I'm tired of them.

"Are we okay, Sodapop?" She stood a couple yards away and tucked her hands into her jacket pockets. "We only been fighting lately."

I decided not to speak. I kept my cigarette between my lips and watched her brother get out of his car and walk towards us. I blew smoke into the chilled air and sighed.

"Look at her, stupid. She's here trying to fix what she ruined and you ain't even looking at her," Peter stood behind his sister.

I still didn't look at Elle, I stared Peter in the eyes and put the cigarette between my lips. Elle would hate him if he touched me, so I'm not worried about him kicking my ass.

Elle kicked a stone, "Sodapop we can't keep dating if this is how it's gonna be," she walked forward.

"I haven't once thought about cheating on you or flirting with another girl, Elle. How come that's all you can do?" I blew smoke again and avoided eye contact.

She huffed, "how come all you can do is yell at me?"

"Oh shut it, Elle. I don't yell at you for just no reason." I stood up, "you're full of yourself. Think you can get away with anything just because your big brother will always be there to clean up your mess or make an even bigger one. He killed someone, Elle. He isn't this amazing person, he killed L.S. in front of me and Steve." I began walking away and I seen Peter start to get upset, "and next time we get in an argument, try speaking in English or don't talk at all. I'm tired of this whole Italian bullshit."

"Can't you see I'm trying to fix us?" She followed me. "Sodapop just stop and listen."

"I'm working," I muttered and went inside. She was right behind me though, "Elle, seriously go away."

"Don't dismiss this," she grabbed my wrist but I tore it away, "Sodapop!" She yelled at me.

"What, Elle?!" I spun around and she backed up against the counter, "what the hell do you want from me?! How come I'm not allowed to be mad about you cheating on me?!"

"I don't want to lose you," she put her hand out, wanting to hold mine but I kept mine by my side.

I turned around and saw Steve standing there watching us, "at this point," I glanced back at her, "you already have." I walked towards Steve and he opened the garage door for me.

-

Elle's POV

-

Steve opened the garage door for Sodapop and shut it behind him. Steve stared at me and he looked just as mad as Sodapop. I jumped when I heard a crash, followed by a bigger one coming from the garage.

"I don't see why you have to do it to him," Steve wiped his oil-covered hands on a rag and shook his head, "Sodapop is good to you and he loves you."

"I love him too," I managed to get out.

"No you don't, Elle. Now get out of my store," he walked towards the door and opened it for me to leave, "now."

"I miss us," I walked towards Steve but he rolled his eyes and moved away.

"Get out, Elle. I'm tired of cleaning up after Soda every time he gets mad at you and throws something. Seriously, go."

I began to think mine and Soda's relationship is over, and that's heartbreaking. Tears welled in
my eyes, but I'm not one to cry so I quickly walked out of the DX but when I went to walk over to Pete for comfort, I seen that he had left already, which sucks. I began my trek home.