Chapter 28

I woke up to my bed frame shaking, some yelling and pounding and Sodapop not next to me anymore. I sat up and Miles had Soda collapsed at the foot of my bed. He was hitting him. I froze for a second then lunged myself at them.

"What he hell is wrong with you?!" I yelled at Miles and shielded myself in front of Sodapop. "Get out of my house!"

"Baby," Miles backed up, "this joker was sleeping with you."

"You don't think I don't know that?!" I stood up and walked towards Miles. "Look at Soda! Look what you did to him!"

Miles glanced at a Sodapop then shook his head, "you're my girl, Elle."

People can do a lot of things to me, but hurting Soda? No way. I laughed out loud and grabbed my knife from my desk, "you're gonna do three things for me." I walked towards him and he slowly backed up. "One," I started. "You're gonna go to the county jail and talk to a man named Steve. Tell him what the Key Men are doing to my brother." I kept walking towards him but he couldn't move anymore. He was against the wall. "Two, you will go to the Key Men house and tell Jeffery that he needs to get his 10 best guys to fight. 8 sharp at the abandoned car lot next to his place." I had the blade of my knife pressed against Miles now.

"What's three?" He put his hand out to push me away so he wouldn't be cut but I hit his hand away.

I chuckled, "you're never going to even look at me again. I won't force you to leave the Coyotes but don't think about looking at me or talking to me. You touched Sodapop. I told you dogs when I joined your gang that you weren't to get into trouble with my boys." I slowly ran the flat side of my blade against his chest then stabbed the knife into his shoulder. "Get out," I muttered as Miles yelled out loudly.

"You bitch," Miles groaned and winced as he yanked the knife out. He should have just left it there.

"Don't do step three until you completed one and two."

"And what if I don't," he held his hand on the gash as it oozed blood through his shirt. "Gonna kill me?"

"Oh," I smirked and turned around to face him, "I won't."

Miles's eyes widened and he left my bedroom, then my house. I picked my blade up off the floor and wiped the blood on a towel. I then put it on my desk and strode over to Sodapop. He was sitting at the edge of my bed.

"Are you okay?" I tilted his head forward and he avoided eye contact. "I'm sorry."

Soda wiped the blood from his nose with his arm. We were both quiet for a while before he broke down in tears which was something I wasn't expecting. What does he have to be crying about? Sodapop is the best, happiest guy I know. Soda covered his face by leaning into my torso and wrapping his arms around me. I felt so bad, like it was my fault even though I had no clue on why he was crying. Soda let out sobs that filled the otherwise silent room. I streamed my fingers through his honey-brown locks and sighed.

"I miss you," he wept into my stomach. I felt his tears moistening my thin cloth shirt. "I've been so miserable," he hiccuped. "I told myself at the race that this was the end of our relationship but, Elle, I love you."

I tilted his head to where I could look at his face. I strung the bangs away from his eyes and ran my hand on his cheek. "Shhh," I hummed and sat down on his lap. "You're a sweetheart, Soda. I love you too."

He hiccuped through his sobs before he stopped himself from crying. I sent him a soft smile. "I'm sorry," he shook his head and took a deep breath. "I'm sorry I let you get away..."

"I'm still here."

"Can we go back?" Sodapop wiped under his eyes. "To dating I mean."

I couldn't believe he was actually asking this question. I thought for sure me and Sodapop were done which is why I even gave Miles a chance in the first place. I smiled wide and nodded my head.

"Oh please." I let out a relieving sigh. Sodapop kissed me sweetly.

-

I sat on a stack of tires in the garage of Sodapop's work. Me and Soda began back to normal as soon as we started dating again. My Coyotes rolled their eyes when we told them were back together but I could care less. After Soda's shift, he's driving me straight to the lot by the Key Men headquarters so we can rumble this out once and for all. I chose my ten Coyotes ahead of time.

"Look at the happy couple," Steve entered the garage with a smile on his face. "Elle, I heard about the rumble tonight. I can't believe you're doing this again."

I rolled my eyes and hopped off the tires, "well, you see Stevie I have a good bunch of boys I've chosen to fight. They hurt my brother. He deserves a lot of shit but he doesn't deserve to die like that."

"Speaking of..." Sodapop hesitated. "You aren't planning on visiting him, right?"

I fumbled with my fingers and wandered the garage. "His execution isn't for months, Soda. Come on we haven't even started school yet. I'm not even thinking about it."

Soda laughed, "take the 'we' out of that statement. We talked about this, hun."

I groaned, "Yes and I thought we agreed you'd go back to school, Soda." I slumped over to him.

"No," he said sternly. "You know I can't leave Darry to the bills all on his lonesome."

"But," I grabbed onto his hand, "please?" I begged.

He tugged his hand away, "for the last time I said no. End of conversation, babe."

Steve chuckled as he left the garage with the tools he needed for the car outside. I leaned against the cherry red thunderbird in the garage and tapped my fingers against the shiny coat. Sodapop got back to work, poking at under the hood and revving the engine every time he thought he fixed the problem. Whatever it was anyway.

"Sodapop?" I hummed the question of his name.

"Yes?" Sodapop responded with another question.

I stuffed my hands into my leather jacket pockets and tapped my heel on the cement floor. "Will you join the Coyotes?"

Sodapop his head on the top of the hood and groaned as he removed himself from looking deep into the hood of the car. "What?"

I giggled a little and sighed, "I lead the gang and all, plus if you join at 18, you could get some of the boys to join as well. After all, you're one of the youngest of the crew so the only ones that will have to wait after would be Pone and Johnnycakes. And they can be pups either way."

"That's betrayal. I can't believe you'd even ask that."

I huffed, "you're my boyfriend and I lead a highly dangerous gang, Soda. Don't you think it'd be nice to be on the inside? And if you become a pup now, you can actually come to Coyote meets. The boys are on my ass about bringing you guys around, Sodapop. They're getting mad."

Soda glanced at me and wiped his hands on an already dirty rag, "I'll talk to the boys. Don't be upset at the outcome though."

-

At the lot, the 20 men stood staring straight at each other from opposite sides. I approached Jeffery D'Lano, shook his hand and we both stepped back as the war between our two gangs began. For some moments I saw our boys struggling. Jeffery smirked thinking he had it all in the bag about ten minutes in but as soon as I yelled at them to work harder, they did.

The more I watched them hit and kick each other the more regret that filled me up. I wanted to pull back. Call it a truce and save the rest of the fight for another day but right as I jumped off of the car to do so, I seen Jeffery nod at some of his boys who were fighting. An overwhelming sense of fear took over me and I couldn't brace myself for what had then come. I could have died, but worse, someone else did die.