Chapter 32

1 year later, August 1969

-

Elle's POV

-

I gathered everyone I cared most about in the boys' shop. I looked at them all and took a deep breath, getting ready to reveal I'm pregnant. Not even Sodapop knows and I'm only telling him like this so he can't freak out in front of everyone. We've been fighting a lot since we got married last year. No one knows that because we act the same in front of the gang, but it's rough yelling at home.

"Come on, Elle. Just go on with it," Steve begged.

"Okay, okay." I looked at my group of friends and took a deep breath. My eyes landed on Sodapop. "I'm pregnant." I managed.

The room was sent into an uproar. Except for Sodapop who just stood there with a blank stare on his face. I got hugs from Ponyboy and Wiley, Steve and Two-bit. Then the rest of them just kind of tackled around me until I got frustrated and pushed them all away.

"Babe," I walked towards Sodapop and reached my hand for his but he quickly snapped out of his trance and backed up. "Soda..."

"I need air," he turned around and left the building.

"Oh no," I muttered to myself and turned towards the group. I concealed my tears. "I think he's fine..."

The room was silent now. I was about to fake a smile but we heard Soda start our car from outside and Steve slowly walked towards me. My lip quivered and I wiped my eyes before I started crying.

"We're fine," I took another deep breath. "I'm fine."

"Elle..." Wiley walked towards me but before he or Steve touched me I turned around and walked out the same way Sodapop did. "Elle, come on let me take you home."

"I'm fine!" I snapped as I began crying when I noticed Wiley following me.

"You're not fine. Your husband just walked out on you, kid." Wiley grabbed my wrist. "Look at me."

"I shouldn't have said anything," I sat on the curb in front of CaR Auto Mechanics and put my hands in front of my face. "I didn't think he'd respond like that."

"He probably just went home. I can take you home, Elle." He pulled his keys from his pocket. "Let's go."

"No," I began sobbing.

"Wasn't a question anymore, let's go." He assisted me to my feet and walked us to his car.

Sodapop's car wasn't in the driveway when we pulled up to my house so I got out and went inside quickly. I sat down on the couch and started bawling. I've been knowing Wiley for quite some time and he's never seen me cry like this.

"Elle..." Wiley shut the door and walked towards me. "He's just freaked out."

"No," I sobbed and wiped my eyes, "no one sees this but me and Sodapop are constantly fighting. Ever since we got married."

Wiley sat on the coffee table, "you two have been together since you were teenagers, Elle. You'll be fine."

"We both hate coming home every night to the same damn argument! It's coming upon a year since this started, Spencer." I hesitated to tell him. "A couple weeks ago Soda filed for a divorce."

"Oh," Wiley muttered and the room went quiet until I forced myself to stop crying.

"This was a mistake. I should have been quiet about this," I stood up and wiped my eyes and flattened my skirt. "Please leave."

"Elle I want to help." He stepped in front of me and grabbed my shoulders in his hands. "What do you guys fight about?"

"He regretted letting Ponyboy join their business, the shop, and everything and when I told him they wouldn't have done it without Pony, he got upset." I shrugged. "Now he accuses me of loads of things almost every day. Cheating mostly... with you mostly..."