Chapter 23-The Illusion Mist

Start from the beginning

When Bai Qing looked up and saw her, a bright smile flashed across her face.

"Xiu Xiang Jie Jie!" Bai Qing cried out excitedly.

"Ugh..." Xiu Xiang slapped a hand over her face.

It seems that Bai Qing's character may have veered a little off track as she no longer was in love with Wei Xing, but it would seem that her character to bring endless trouble to the Demoness had not change.

With the bride missing, the people in Tian Ling Sect were sure to go out looking for her. That meant that Xiu Xiang would have an even tougher time getting past the obstacle before her.

"What are you doing here?" Xiu Xiang asked.

"I should be asking you that. What are you doing here?" Bai Qing asked.

Xiu Xiang frowned.

Said the bride who ran away from her own wedding!

"Go back," Xiu Xiang ordered.

It was Bai Qing's turn to frown.

"I don't want to! I don't want to get married to that uptight Wei Xing! I won't! Jie Jie, you have to help me escape!" Bai Qing pleaded.

There was no helping it, Xiu Xiang thought. She was about to knock Bai Qing out when she remembered that Bai Qing was a master at illusions. In the novel, when Wei Xing had fallen under one of Xiu Xiang's illusions, it was Bai Qing who had broken it and freed him from his fears. Because of that, Xiu Xiang was seriously injured when Wei Xing came out of the illusion.

It's time for Bai Qing to pay back the Demoness for all the troubles she had caused before.

"Alright, I'll help you but before that, you must help me get through this forest first. It's filled with a strange mist that causes illusions. How about it?" Xiu Xiang suggested.

The naïve girl's eyes lit up like fireworks as she nodded her head furiously.

Now she has gotten her agreement, Xiu Xiang turned back toward the barrier and placed her hand on the barrier again. With the key in hand, it was easy to dissipate it without using too much energy. The barrier slowly dissolved before their eyes and almost immediately the thick fog swirled toward them, beckoning them inside.

"Let's go," Xiu Xiang called out to Bai Qing.

The two women stepped into the dense fog and their figures disappeared almost immediately.

By the time Wei Xing arrived at the place where the barrier had once been, his brows furrowed deeply. Lifting the key up, he knew that Xiu Xiang had gone into the illusion mist.

"Xiu Xiang..." Wei Xing breathed. Fear etched on his face as he stared into the dense forest. With no hesitation for his safety, he rushed straight in without another thought.

At the same time, the elders who held the other keys were also alarmed when their own keys started to burn. Even after a thousand years, not once as the key gave off such an alarming light.

"Someone must've infiltrated the West Peak and broken through the first barrier to the Cave of Inheritance!" Elder Mui exclaimed.

Sect Leader Jiang frowned as he held onto his own key. It was glowing and giving off a dangerous heat. This was indeed a bad omen. He looked off in the direction of where the Cave of Inheritance lay.

There were rumors going on about how someone had risen to power within the Demon Realm and taken over as the new Demon King. Could the infiltrator be that person? What of the half soul that disappeared from the Cliff of Abyss?

He feared the worst-case scenario.

Bai Qing had formed a seal with her hands erecting a thin barrier around the two of them so that the mist couldn't get near. The forest really was huge. It seemed like hours since the two of them had entered. The deeper they went, the stronger the demon beasts were and Xiu Xiang realized why. The further they went into the forest, the more Xiu Xiang sensed a surge of spiritual energy. Was it the Cave of Inheritance? Was that the reason why the demon beasts refuses to leave even after the barrier to the forest was destroyed?

"This might be tougher than I thought..." Xiu Xiang murmured as she killed off the twenty some demon beast.

"Xiu Xiang Jie Jie... just where exactly are we going...?" Bai Qing asked.

"The Cave of Inheritance," Xiu Xiang replied dully.

"...!" Bai Qing came to a stop as she whipped around to face her. "Jie Jie! That place is off limits! Why are you going there?!"

"That is none of your concern. Do you want to go back and marry Wei Xing?" Xiu Xiang asked sharply. She really wasn't one who liked to use people but Bai Qing was one of the few characters she disliked in the novel, so she didn't feel to bad about using her.

"I... this isn't right," Bai Qing said glumly.

There she goes again, causing endless trouble. Xiu Xiang suddenly wondered if this wasn't such a good idea when a loud scream echoed within the forest.

"...that voice! It couldn't be!" Xiu Xiang thought as she whipped around in the direction where it had come from.

Suddenly forgetting that she needed to be within Bai Qing's barrier to avoid the illusion mist, her feet moved of its own accord and she dashed off in a certain direction, ignoring Bai Qing's protest. She didn't know why but after hearing that painful scream, she just had to go help.

Xiu Xiang arrived just in time to see a demon beast towering over a figure dressed in red, who was down on his knees with his face buried in his hands. She swung her palm forward and the demon beast erupted into flames and quickly burned down to the bones until there was nothing left.

"Wei Xing!" Xiu Xiang cried out as she dropped down to check on him. Almost immediately, Wei Xing flung his arms open and wrapped it tightly around her.

"Don't leave me!"