23

"Enjoy the day ladies. I love you babe. Call me when you're finished."
"I love you too."
We just dropped them off. We used the excuse of having a chill day with just the two of us to bond. And they bought it.

"So are you making a ring or buying one?"

"As much as I would love that, I'm on a time crunch and your sister would hate if I spent alot on it. Knowing her she's going to ask for a price and we are going to take however much I spend, half it and that will be the new price."

"Okay. Any ideas what you getting? Styles?"

"Nope. Winging it until I find the right one."

-----------------------------------------------------------------
"How can I help you today?"

"We looking for engagement rings."

"Okay. So who is it for?"

"My girlfriend."

"Congratulations. We have a wide range. Are you looking for something simple or something flashy?"

"Something unique."

"We have alot of unique rings. Here are some of the rings. What's your price range?"

"I don't have one. I am willing to spend as much as it's needed to get my girl the perfect ring."

"Okay. We have this top line which is about ten thousand."

-----------------------------------------------------------------
After an hour of looking at rings, I found the right one.
I'm doing this. I'm proposing. I'm getting married. If she says yes.

"It's still early and I'm hungry. Let's go eat."
"Alright. You choosing though."

Bev settled on some Chinese place. It was food so I wasn't complaining.

After lunch I agreed to help her move. So we are boxing up her things even though it's like a 10 minute walk.

"That everything?"
"Yeah."
"You can stay until the weekend you know."
"No. You're gonna propose and then you gonna have sex. And you are both very loud."
"I'm taking her to Hawaii next week. That's where I'm proposing."
"Still. You guys are gonna be a family."
"Yes. But you are a part of that family."
"I'm leaving now."
"Wait. I have something. Just wait by the door while I grab it."

I walked into my room and took out the 2 boxes and went to hand them to Bev.

"Open them."

She opens them. In the first box is a credit card for her to use.
"Thank you."
"Don't mention it. Just don't go too crazy. Now open the second one."
The second box was a ring on a chain. It read "Bev Wilson. Johnson family."

"Is this a family ring?"
"Yes. You are apart of the Johnson family. Not my whole family has them though. Only you, me, Chris and hopefully your sister."
"She's gonna say yes you know. She loves you."
"I hope so."
"I'll pick em up. Use the time wisely."
"One more thing. If you ever want your own place, call me. Things are gonna get serious between Raya and you. And you do not want to live with my sister when that happens."
"Thank you. But it won't."
"She loves you."
"No."
"Trust me. I love you sissy. Go before I kidnap you."
"I love you too."

She left and I went to hide the rings. I put the family ring in my dresser and the engagement ring is in my closet. I know it's unsafe but Brooke knows the code to the safe.

I decided to take a nap and I started dreaming.

"You should publish.", I know this voice but I can't put a name to the voice.
"Please my writing is shit."
"No. It will sell. Imigane the headline, 'Amy Johnson, former teacher now new york bestseller.'."
"I'll think about it."
"What's to think about?"
"My wife is due anytime now. When the baby comes I want to be home with them."
"I understand. Give it some thought."

Mabye I should go into writing.
I phone my mom to tell her the news.
"Mom. I got a call. Someone read something I wrote and now they want me to publish."
"Tsk Tsk Tsk Tsk. Why couldn't you get a stable career like your sister. As a doctor she has her own hours and brings in money. Unlike you. Why must you always be the disappointment?"
"I'm not."
"Yes. You are. From when you were a child. You always disappoint us. I mean look at you. You married to a women. You can't give us grandchildren ever. Now your sister found a nice man. They settled down. Go into law school and find yourself a nice man to settle with."

Not believing my mother said that, I hung up and scream. I was so frustrated.
" I'm a disappointment." I kept repeating over and over again.

" AMY. Wake up."
I know that voice.

"Babe are you okay?"
"Yeah. It was just a dream." I get up and go to the bathroom. A nice bath will help me.

I walk into the bathroom repeating what a disappointment I am in my head. I mindlessly strip and jump in the shower. I'm in there for about 5 minutes when Brooke joins.

She hugs me from the back, I can feel her boobs on my back.
"You are not a disappointment. I'm proud of you. Your family is proud of you."
That's all it takes. I break down crying and she guides me out of the shower into the bed.

Still naked she pulls me into her. My head is on her very naked chest.
"Shh baby. I'm here." she rubs my back. I'm still thinking about all the things that happened to me. Suddenly I can't breathe. I guess my panic attacks are back.

"Amy I need you to breathe. Can you do it?"
I nod and take fast and shallow breaths.
"Feel better?"
I nod.
"Can we stay like this?"
"Anything you want baby."
So we stay like this for a while. Me in her arms for a change.

I get up and look her in the eye.
"I love you. So much."
"I love you too baby." she leans down to kiss me.
"Where's Bev? Her car isn't here either. Should I be worried?"
"No. She moved in with Chris."
"Oh okay. What about classes and all that stuff?"
"She has a car and a phone with GPS."
"What about cash?"
"I gave her a card. How was your day?"
"Very relaxing. It was amazing. This was my favorite part though."
"What. Me having a breakdown?"
"No. You being in my arms."
"I'm gonna go cook."
"I'll just get something to wear."
"I love you."
"Love you too." with one last peck I get dressed and head to the kitchen.