XIV ♛ 𝕱𝖔𝖗𝖌𝖎𝖛𝖊 𝖒𝖊, 𝖕𝖑𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖊

When he regained his consciousness, everything was blurry and dark. Everything was swaying in front of him until finally coming to focus, the full realization of the happened breaking into his mind. Sitting on the back seat had - unfortunately - spared his life, nearly everyone else was flattened by the tree like a tin can. Their distorted bodies, twisted necks, and crushed skulls with a coat of crimson covering them thoroughly - a nightmare in real life.

Nothing could've prepared him for this. Not even the head of Layla's deceased father that had been Mr. Hyde's way to say 'good morning' to him. Even though it belonged in the past, he felt like it just happened yesterday.

Dimash was seconds away from vomiting but he had a last-minute change of plans and didn't. He inhaled through his mouth refusing to draw in the air full of the metallic, black stench of death. It was an unnatural smell one could never get used to. Well, except for the fucking Mr. Killer Hyde.

Muscles cramping and mind buzzing with possible scenarios, he wiggled his way out of the suffocating seatbelts and crawled his way out of a wreckage of a car and fell into the embrace of white humidity. Was I the only survivor?

It looks like we were, Mr. Hyde replied but the relief was shortlived.

But... Why? I was the only one who really deserved to die...

Shut up. The bitch was the one. We got lucky.

Gray storm clouds rolled by, spreading cold rain everywhere. With a glance over his shoulder, Dimash caught sight of the disappearing smudgy figure standing in the slanting rain as he limped away from the scene. Living the drastic aftermath of the accident, the body still overflowing with pungent adrenaline, he couldn't exactly tell where he had been wounded.

He couldn't see well. The fog was too thick. But he surmised the small figure behind him was Layla. And there was something weird about her -

Bang!

A bullet pierced his back right above his heart, causing him to stumble over his steps and land onto the ground. The unbearable pain was scorching a path through his muscles, making each one of his nerve cells cry out in agony. Dimash stifled a groan that was about to leave his mouth. He had never experienced this much physical pain in his life. But he deserved it. For not dying in the accident.

Layla didn't follow him. She collapsed against the car, going through her own painful ordeal - maybe dying or just severely injured. Probably thinking that he was dead. Otherwise, she hadn't let him slip again, not after all her efforts and betrayals in order to bring justice to this world.

Coughing blood and wheezing in pain, Dimash limped towards an elm tree that stood silently in the middle of nowhere, sticking out like bony fingers and reaching for the sky. He was holding his burning chest, tears prickling his eyes when he slumped against the tree trunk.

Uh, it hurts so so much. But he had it coming.

The moon was peeping through the clouds, every single blade of grass in the ground was dotted by the faint glow of the silvery light. The shadows were dancing to the slow hum of the chilly zephyr. A big invisible hand of the sky was pouring down some soothing rain. It was such a beautiful night. That would be his last.

With this deep wound of his, he was a goner. How many minutes, how many hours left? His heart was a compass that told him to sail towards his own death peacefully. Despite that, there were still years unlived, cliffs unjumped, waters untouched, and fleeting skies unseen, all waiting for him in the dark future. He never got his first kiss, either.

And last but not least - he didn't even get to say goodbye to Raushan and Mansur. Why couldn't this cruel, unfair world fulfill the simplest dying wish?