XI ♛ 𝕼𝖗𝖔𝖜𝖓 𝖎𝖓 𝖆 𝖘𝖊𝖆 𝖔𝖋 𝖑𝖎𝖊𝖘

The person in front of her was no longer Dimash Kudaibergen. But he did look the same with more smooth complexion, sculpted jaw, and sharp hawk-like features. Dimash's chalk-white shirt and coal-black pants looked exceptional on the man who was born in a suit. He had closed his eyes and when he opened them, the gaze was merciless.

Both of them had stood up. "Mr. Hyde", Layla said with a voice that didn't falter. Her eyes were sparkling like two dark diamonds, enhanced with black eyeliner and eyeshadow. She looked somewhat a ghost given her paleness. "Pleasure to meet you finally in person."

So this is the girl Dimash loves? She hadn't changed one iota. What the hell did Dimash see in this short-ass busty lass who was just like one of those hookers clinging to Hyde and salivating on his oh-so-clean suit? All she needed was a pimp to arrange some clients for her and she could make a living. "What do you mean by pleasure?" Mr. Hyde asked mimicking her childish voice.

Layla's brown eyebrows furrowed in pretended astonishment. "I was under the impression that you'd figure it out sooner or later", she said shrugging. "Seems I misjudged you."

What really gets me is that attitude of yours. Mr. Hyde made a mental remark that he should break her teeth when given the chance. Nobody talked to him in an uppity way without tasting his fist in return. But first, he had to converse with this little princess here. "You are the Layla Atanasov, right?" he asked.

"Yeah, I am."

"I killed your father." Mr. Hyde grinned ear to ear. That lopsided sneer could have looked cute on Dimash but on Mr. Hyde it looked rather frightening and bone-chilling.

"I know that." Judging from the indifferent tone of Layla's voice, it seemed to have little or no relevance to her. What a lovely daughter.

"Poor daddy, he thought you had died in a car accident. Not a very healthy relationship, huh?"

Layla flashed the white of her eyes with an eye roll, crossing her arms and taking a wide-legged stance in a typical way for her. Damn, this midget was like a stub of a pencil - the crown of her head barely reached his shoulders. Her death glare, on the other hand, compensated a bit of that awkwardness. "As if Dimash and you were best buddies", she retorted.

Mr. Hyde let her sharp comment slip his mind. "Daddy's girl", he went on adding insult to injury. "You want to share the same grave with his rotten bones?"

"There was a certain reason I kept him in the distance. For protection."

"Sounds like Dimash. We saw it was all in vain."

"No wonder when a good-for-nothing like you is wasting his brain capacity."

"Watch your mouth, slut", Mr. Hyde warned in a sinister voice. "You seem to be in a hurry to die." He was on the defensive now, thanks for the girl's straight-forward remarks and audacity. Dimash's good looks had cursed him if he got a drooling bitch after him. And of all the whores out there, why did it have to be this loathsome one who talked so big with those flapping meats of hers?

"Try me."

Uh oh. That was ill-advised, dear. "You should be cowering in fear", Mr. Hyde whispered. His fingers itched from the desire to twist that neck a bit. See the light in her eyes die... "I'm a fucking serial killer."

"And I'm a fucking agent if you don't mind my vulgar expression", Layla said dipping a phony courtesy in her smooth-flowing talk.

Mr. Hyde blinked stupidly halting in midmotion. "Agent?"

"FBI. I am to arrest you right here and now."

Mr. Hyde couldn't help but burst into crazy laughter. "You!" he cackled, eyes overflowing with silvery tears of joy. This was the first time he had ever laughed at one of their jokes. The police officers were always so expressionless that it looked silly, let alone cracking a golden joke like this. "Hah! So they sent a tiny little runt that will fly if I happen to sneeze to run their errands. I didn't know your scum had such a bad sense of humor."