Chapter 21. - Time To Fight

It turns out Satomi had met Chris Argent in the past, but according to her, he might not remember her, which made her statement pointless.

Kira gave him the arrow from one of the crossbows from the people who were after Satomi's pack after she asked if Argent could be trusted. He rotated it between his fingers, examining its sharp triangular point. From my place, I caught a glimpse of the symbol carved into the weapon. It felt familiar, like I had seen it already, but I couldn't remember clearly where or when.

"They are hunters, aren't they?" Scott asked, cutting my thoughts.

Chris's stare hardened, and his face turned serious. "Not if they are killing for profit. Not anymore..." he said. Brett and I looked at each other with a knowing look. I fought against cringing when he said that. I still refused to accept what my brothers did, whether for profit or not. But Argent just confirmed what I was fearing.

"Can they find us?" Some pack members decided to speak up and ask. We all turned and waited for Chris' answer. But I think most of us already knew what he would say.

"They might already know that you are here," Brett's hand tightened around mine, "but maybe they are waiting for dark..."

"So we are not safe here," I stated, looking at the true alpha and staring at Kira with a worried expression.

"We are not safe anywhere," Satomi snapped, not something I expected from her. We've been trying to get out for days, and everywhere we turn, we find someone new trying to kill us." Her gaze softened, and I could see that she was anxious for her pack—or what's left of it.

Argent took a few steps closer to Scott and said, "Scott, if they are coming, they're coming for you and Danielle, too. You two are the number one on the Deadpool." I have to thank him for reminding me of that.

"I know." He glanced at me, receiving a reassuring nod from me, and turned his attention back to Chris. I know Lydia can get the answers from Meredith. She needs more time." Who's Meredith? And why would Lydia need to answer her questions? Does she have to do with something of this at all?

But seeing as Scott's pack always does things to save people and always has plans for anything, I suppose this is one of those. I just went with the flow.

"Then that's what she'll get," Argent replied.

▼▲▼▲

Argent left to install some devices that sense movement. They would go off when they did, signalling that the assassins had entered the building.

Scott and I listened attentively as every single one of them beeped four times once placed in its strategic place. Yes, I was so bored out of my mind that I started counting the beeps. So next time you're in a life-threatening situation where assassins are about to attack you and your friends, count the beeps of the devices that might save all your lives! I'm rambling, I know.

Almost everything is better than this.

Scott approached Derek, looked at him, and said, "It will be okay."

From a distance, I could see that Derek was quite sceptical about it and felt unsure. His facial expression was a dead give-away. He glanced at the pack, which was preparing for the upcoming fight. They always looked out for each other no matter what, only because they formed a pack, and I envied that. 

"They might have claws and fangs, but they are not fighters," he admitted, passing Scott and nearing the woman, Breaden, who was loading her gun with different ammo.

My blood started boiling with anger, "HEY!" I called out. "Wanna say that to my face? I'll show you how good of a fighter they are then." My eyes started glowing red; Brett tried to talk to me through the link, but I blocked him so I could think clearly without his influence.