Chapter 24 .- The Taking

Whipping the sweat from my forehead, I let the rug fall from my hands to the kitchen counter. I had finally finished cleaning the house, and everything was left impeccable—not a trace of even a speck of dust.

Mum would be home in an hour and a half, more or less, and then we'd tell her our deepest secret. I was not ready, but I would rather find it from me than from someone else. Also, I'd dreamed about this day since I first turned; only my brothers weren't involved in the talking.

"Hey, you finally finished," Alex said as he entered the kitchen and served himself some orange juice from the fridge.

"Yeah, it would have been easier if you two had lent a hand. It's not like you were going to break a nail or something," I said, sarcasm laced in my voice.

"Not really; we were just preparing ourselves emotionally before we dropped the bomb, and Mom either lashed out at us or fainted. We need to be cautious." He said, clenching his hand over his heart, simulating a painful blow to the chest. Ha-ha, very funny, I rolled my eyes.

"If by preparing yourselves you mean playing G.T.A. all evening, then well done! You've accomplished nothing!" I said with an exaggerated chipper voice, swinging my arm to give him a thumbs-up, then dropping it, hitting my thigh.

"You were able to hear us from above?" he asked in disbelief as if I had discovered his deepest secret, but I already knew that.

"Werewolf hearing, remember?" I tapped my ear. The speakers were so loud that even a grandma could hear them without her hearing aid."

"Right... Sorry." He apologised, running his hands over his hair.

"I'm used to it; it's fine. I'll go for a run now, but I'll be back before Mom comes home. If she's back early, just whistle, and I'll come before you enter the house," I said, walking to the back door that leads to the backyard.

"Okay, be careful. It's late; there are animals in the woods," he warned, even sounding concerned.

"And I'm the predator... No need to worry about myself, big bro! I'll be fine." I shrugged it off almost proudly.

"I was just worrying about my little sister. No matter who or what you are, I'll still care." He said; I could see a slight glisten in his eyes like he was retaining some tears back. He cared for me; a little flutter in my chest tightened; my breath hitched, making me want to cry, too.

I turned from the door and engulfed my brother in a tight hug.
"Aw... You are the best brother, Alex. But don't tell Axel I said that." I muttered, hiding my head in his chest; this would be more comfortable if Brett were here...

You are not wrong, but... Focus Danielle! You're having a moment with your brother; you never know when it will repeat itself, so you should get the best out of it!

There she is, my wolf scolding me, who would've imagined the day.

What are you saying? I'm here to knock some sense into you. Now I want to run, please!

"As long as you don't tell anyone about my little emotional meltdown," my brother begged. I couldn't help but chuckle. Men and their egos—something I'll never understand.

"Deal," I stated, turning back and going for the door.

"See ya' in an hour!" I hollered after closing the door, running towards the forest.

A feeling of calmness flooded my body as my feet hit the ground and grass caressed my legs. But still, there's excitement cruising in my veins. I was finally able to run freely, not worrying about someone shooting something to knock me down, killing me and gaining money for it.