Chapter 28.- Rogue

Everyone was silent. The whole picture had changed, not much. But the number of possible deaths was increasing by the second.

Danielle's brothers were also worried. They knew that their sister had been able to take care of herself for so long, and they were clueless about it, but at the moment, it felt different.

"So, if everyone is sufficiently freaked out, I say we get going." Peter caught the whole group's attention and gestured to the cars surrounding them.

Stiles was quick to object, "We can't. Not without Lydia."

Brett and Danielle's brothers didn't recall much of the strawberry blonde, and a confused look made its way onto their faces as they questioned why the redhead was such a crucial member of the mission. They only wanted to go after Danielle and bring her home as soon as possible. Principally, her brothers knew that once they came back, their mother would have their heads for locking her in their room.

The former Alpha questioned Peter's daughter, "What's she doing at the school anyway?"

The girl held up the weapon and spoke, "We got Kira's sword, but we need something with a stronger scent. Lydia went to get a jacket out of her locker." She then looked at Stiles, who had separated from the group and tried calling Lydia.

After putting his phone down, he shook his head, and his mouth formed a firm line, "Nothing," he said.

"If she has a car, she can catch up to us," Breaden concluded. She was thinking strategically; wasting their time waiting for Lydia to arrive could cause the death of their friends.

Peter raised her right arm and pointed at her, seeing her point, "That's a good point. We'll call her from the road."

Again, Stiles seemed to differ, "No. What if something happened? What if she's in trouble?"

Surprisingly, Peter stepped up right in front of Stiles, "Fine. You stay, you find her. We're gonna go on without you." The group couldn't believe their eyes; Peter was suspiciously urging the rescue mission, which is questionable as Peter has never been friendly towards Scott since the start. But maybe Peter did change after all.

"I could call Mason. He has a study group at school. Maybe he could look for her." The young Beta offered

Brett didn't want to sound rude, but they needed to start going ."Fair enough, guys. We're losing our time. The more we waste, the higher the risk," Stiles agreed, and everyone parted to their respective cars.

The twins and Brett got together in a circle, "Do you mind if I go with them? Try to get some intel about the situation. These guys have more experience and may know how to."

Brett got cut off by the twins, who were speaking simultaneously, "We'll be right behind you." Times like this are when Axel and Alex creep people out. The trio smiled, and after a short hug, the twins went to load their stuff into their car. Brett grabbed his jacket and directed himself to the van.

Peter again caught the group's attention before they started getting into their vehicles, "Remember what we're dealing with. It's not just Kate; it's Berserkers. You might see human eyes behind those skulls. Do not assume that there's any humanity left." Everyone interpreted the words in different ways. Liam looked worried, even scared, but the one that took the worst punch was Brett. What if those beasts had come close to his mate? Danielle is strong, but if she had wolfsbane in her system, she would have been too weak to fight.

Peter caught the little Beta's reaction, "Oh. This little one is terrified of them, aren't you? Don't worry, my friend. It is that fear that will keep you alive." He then shifted to look at the taller werewolf, "We don't know what she has done to Scott or Danielle, but be on the lookout for anything. Sometimes, the good guys become the bad guys..." Peter said, which Brett reflected on. Is he willing to fight against Danielle? He can't hurt her; he'd rather die than do that.