Twenty-Seven, The Sword

'slice me open, bleed me dry'

We run as fast as we can down Rhydian's unoccupied hallways, everyone running miles in front, a collection of footsteps running after us, with clangs and yells for us to surrender but we never do, and I don't let anyone slow down.

In my head they're all faster than we are running but Rhydian is injured and from the training I have heard Rhydian talk about, it is easier for other vampires to catch you and interject. I always thought that was weird, but I suppose I am not the most well versed in the realm of vampire physics.

I yank one of the two front doors open, ushering everyone to get out, watching as Selena, Kyle and Rhydian get out the door with Mady straight after them, she has a smile on her face because we got that far and with one last step I decide I can celebrate too because my plan worked, only it didn't.

I can feel it immediately but there's no pain, just my knees shaking, and my hands clutched against the door, I feel it slide out of my heart as I watch them go. Maybe they can get away without seeing me this way, however gruesomely I have ended up, but my life is no fairy-tale and Mady turns to see me not beside her. The scream that leaves her lips rips the shock off of me and the pain erupts through me all at once.

"EVELYN NO" she cries again, running back towards me, catching the others attention. Selena falling to the ground in a loud scream as they all fall down, but they can't stop running, they have to get there and survive.

The tears are hot running down my face, my knees making contact with the ground as the cry of pain finally leaves my lips, blood cascading down my body as my heart struggles to pump blood with a whole in it.

"NO, NO, YOU NEED TO GO" I cry out, my chest aching but I don't care anymore "You promised me that you would get them there"

"I can't leave you"

"You need too, there's no time for me, you need to get them there"

"Evelyn I-"

"Please" I cry brokenly.

"Okay, okay I will" she agrees

"Tell them that I love them"

"Of course," she sobs, biting her lip to try and keep her composure, her reaction to my death strange but I gave her, her second chance.

With my last bit of strength, I close the door, slumping into it as I bleed out. I just couldn't watch them, couldn't let them see me die, it was far more painful than I could ever describe and that's coming from someone who is currently bleeding out after being stabbed in the heart. I close my eyes, with no strength left but even in death, nothing but blackness surrounds me.

-

It feels like the wind is blowing loudly around me, there's colours dancing in front of my eyes, kind of like when you press down on your eyes too hard and all those colours dance around me. Like a death disco that I didn't want to go too.

'Evelyn'

'Mum?'

It feels like she's whispering in my ears, but I can't feel my body as I reply, nor can I see her, which makes the interaction all the more confusing, I can't tell if this is real or whether this is my introduction to whatever comes after we die.

'Yes darling, Evelyn you must open your eyes'

'What? Why?'

'There is more left to see, you need to open your eyes'

'I can't, I am too tired; I have done all I can'

'I know you are, but Rhydian needs you, your blood is the only thing that can save him'