Twenty-Three, Family Ties

'complicated is in my dna'

By the time my tears have dried and left my face feeling tight and unnatural I have arrived at Monica's new place, the vibe of my ride over here was pitiful, I may have never met the man who drove me over here, but I could tell even he could feel my pain.

I stayed curled up in the passage seat, head in my arms as I sobbed, not being able to see the man next to me meant that I didn't try and mute any of my feelings, nor the worry that comes with the empty space in my heart where the happiness of my bond used to be.

Although it isn't the small apartment or house that I was expecting, a grand town house looms in front of me and I check the address four times before accepting that I am at the right place, apparently she really did manage to thrive without me and I can't help but wonder if it was me that kept us in such a bad place.

I remember Kyle mentioning that they would keep Monica safe and happy but surely that doesn't extend to getting her a house like this. I'm also positive that they did not care about her to that extent, nor me at that point of our relationship.

It's five pm and I am reluctant to knock on the door, it's cold and I just want to go back and wrap myself up in Kyle or Selena, all I am left in is Rhydian's jumper that I had pulled on before we rushed to the office. The way that a car was waiting for me outside as I ran from the castle highlights what Selena said, he's had that planned for a while.

He was always going to get rid of me when things got rough and I can't decide if he is a dick or just protective; either way I am pissed off. However, that doesn't kill the want I still have for him, for any of them. I knock on the white door lightly, praying she doesn't hear so I can run far from my old life.

"Evelyn!" She squeals as she opens the door, not even ten seconds after I knocked.

"Um, hi" I stutter, hugging her back as she throws herself around me. She's cold but maybe that's just my decreasing warmth.

"I can't believe your here, come in" she smiles, pulling me in happily.
The house is white, black and grey furniture and scarcely decorated which seems greatly unlike her.

"Did you just move in?" I ask as we travel down the hallway toward the kitchen

"Been here for a couple months, I live with two other guys"

"Guys?"

"Yeah, they're amazing and very clean. Crazy smart, I know they'll be excited to see you"

"Why would they be excited to see me?"

"Because they were looking for you when they found me" she explains, pouring a strange red liquid into the cup in front of her.

"What, what are you doing?" I ask, my panic starting to rise.

"Drinking obviously, calm down would you"

"Uh yeah, sorry"

Is she a?
There's no way, how could this even happen?
Unless Kyle?
No he wouldn't
Maybe her new house guests?
No, that would be too weird.

"So, where have you been, you just disappeared on me and I thought you were dead cause there was blood on the old carpet at our apartment"

"I, I went on a trip. Lottery draw to go to Germany and I just left that day, I would've told you, but I lost my phone and don't know your number. Took me ages to find you again" I lie, "Wow, blood in the house that's so scary, I'm glad you got out of there"

"Yeah sorry, I didn't tell anyone that I was moving. But that's amazing to hear, how was it?"

"Was incredible, we should definitely go sometime" I say, trying to relax into the barren and cold surroundings.