Making up for our childhood traumas

Start from the beginning

"I know," Patton mumbled, laying his head back on my shoulder.

"What can I do that will make you feel better?" I asked.

"I don't know," He grumbled, pulling away from me. He rested his head on the head rest.

"Would you like to go back to your house?" I suggested. Patton shook his head 'no'.

For a while we sat in silence. I tried to think about how I could help Patton. Something that wasn't too passive. Any activity to take his mind off the current dilemma.

"Can we go to the animal shelter?" Patton asked, his voice extremely soft.

"Why there?" I asked while moving to start my car.

"I used to volunteer there and hang out with the animals. It was lots of fun," He mumbled, obviously feeling nostalgic now.

"Then we can go there,"  I told him, pulling out of the hospital parking lot.

I drove us over to the only shelter in our small town.  It's sadly a kill shelter because of how overrun it gets considering it's the only shelter and veterinarian office around. 

We pulled into the shelter parking lot after about ten minutes.  Patton and I got out of the car and headed towards the front door.

The lady at the desk smiled at us when we entered.  She motioned to the coat rack while welcoming us to the shelter.  I took Patton's coat from him while he asked if we could look at the dogs. 

Patton was wearing a pair of jeans and a big poofy light blue sweater that matched his light blue converse.  He looked adorable.  I wore dark blue jeans, black converse and a dark blue nasa sweatshirt over a blue button up shirt.

I walked back over to Patton but before I could say anything, he quickly bolted over to a cat tower in the corner of the sitting room.

At the top of the cat tower was a grey tabby cat, a new mother.  Her kittens were running around and playing on the cat tower.  They were little black, white and grey tabby kittens.

"Patton no, you're allergic to cats," I remind him.

"Aww but Logan they're so cute," He whined, his hand paused while outstretched towards the kittens.

"Let's just go see the dogs," I said, slipping my hand into his outstretched one.

Patton followed me into the hallway full of the cages of dogs. It was incredibly loud in here and it smelled putrid.

"Oh my goodness there's so many dogs!" Patton exclaimed happily.

I laughed gently, following Patton as he dragged me down the hallway. He stopped at multiple of the cages to pet the dogs.

Farther down the hallway, a vet was pulling a terrified looking golden retriever from its cage.  The poor dog was whimpering and obviously disliked being touched. 

It's front right leg was missing.  This dog also look like it had been severely emaciated before this. 

Patton headed towards this dog almost instantly.  I almost fell over with the force that Patton dragged me.