Shovel Talk

Kevin POV

Edd sipped on the milkshake. His eyes were red and he looked tired. Honestly tired. I'm going to kill this Pierre, and his friends. How could someone who lost both his parents, someone who tries so hard to help people, someone... this hurt and try shattering his heart even more. Why is Double D let himself be hurt so? I may not like his other friends but I know they'd help him. I pulled one of Double D's hands interlocking her fingers. Double D not expecting this blushed. I guess I made him reach his breaking point when I took him out.

Maybe I overwhelmed him. I wish my uncle was here he'd know what to do. Plus he was good at talking, but was still strong. That's the difference between my uncle and father. My father could listen but only if he could give commands while Uncle can talk but instead of being commanding he was comforting, which is why I got great advice from him and why he helped me when Nazz dumped me. My father himself not being able to help me with my heartbreak nor my mother as she was too caring of a heart.

I will protect him. He had walked a hard path and now I will carry him away as if he were my princess. We talked about music and movies, surprisingly he liked EDM. I can't believe he likes music that we dance to at parties. He seems to like sci-fi too while me I just rambled about sports and horror movies. I used to watch them with Nazz and Rolf as they loved the thrill of being scared. By the look of Double D's soured face to tell he didn't think the same way about horror. I bought some other dishes, of fries and a veggie burger. I know he had a big issue with red meat do veggie burgers seemed to be the best option.

We kept holding hands except this time it was only under the table. He was looking at me with a big smile his cute gap between his teeth makes me feel like I'm going insane, so I looked at the paintings on the wall eating another fry. Out of the corner of my eye I see Double D giggling. How can I be so lucky to go on a date with this angel. We finished our meal after a long conversation about how horror movies are awesome(at least I was trying to convince him that). I paid the bill as Double D kept saying sorry for forgetting to bring his wallet. He's such a sweetheart.

"Come on. It's time to go home." I help out my hand to help him up. Double D took it with a smile. I had to look away again, he's too cute. I let him walk ahead of me, as Edd suddenly had a burst of energy as he babbled about an adventure he had with his two best friends. I just listen, honestly I don't think that Double D ever gets enough attention or just someone to listen. For the past few days he's been listening to me so it was quite strange that the introvert was being quiet extrovertive. Before we knew it, I had walked him to his house. His house with so many rooms should've lit up the street but, it was dark except for a light. Honestly I bet these two motherf*@ckers are acting like rabbits.

I imagined beating up some punk but, I never said a word about it to Double D. I smiled down at the smaller male who had stopped talking and was looking up at me nervously. He's too cute! I scratching the back of my head pulling on my hat. "So... did you have a good time?" I asked lamely but honestly I wanted to know. Double D blushed suddenly becoming shy nodding. An awkward silence passed between us as we looked at each other, not sure what to do. Come on Kevin! You were the playboy of Spring Creek High. Girls fall over themselves just to talk to you.

"That's good. I really wanted you to have a good time. I'll make sure to go somewhere just as fun if not more fun than before. You have no idea how adorable you looked when we were eating fries. Was that the first time you've eaten fried food. I knew I couldn't get a hamburger but honestly I think you're more scared of the milkshake's whip cream." I laughed. Double D blushed stuttering.

"E-excuse me?! I have not indulged in these types of treats for quite some time. The last time was when Eddy bought fast food and we had to eat it on a school field trip which I could not have brought food to! It's surprisingly delicious." That's good at least he liked the food. I was worried he wouldn't be okay with the sanitary conditions or something, but he seemed content. I'll make sure he eats more if we go on more dates.

"So I guess I can take you one another date say, to the movies? After football practice next Friday." I casually asked. Shoving my hands in my pockets practically jumping as I rolled on the balls of my feet. Double D's eyes widened in surprise. "R-really?! Y-YES! I... would love to." He jumped up his hands coming around my neck pulling me down into a hug. "Hahah well as your boyfriend I need to spoil you. If I don't who else will?"

"B-Boyfriend! Yeah, I guess that's what we are, aren't we?" Double D said blushing madly as he looked at the ground but he didn't let go. I chuckled softly before pulling him closer to me into a kiss. His lips soft as ever merged perfectly with mine. I felt him hugging me tighter in his grip. The magic in his small body made me feel hot as if he was the sun. It was slow, lingering kiss with a silent promise embedded into it. A promise of our futures.

We let go and said our goodbyes reluctantly as I walked back home, I felt like I could've ran 10 miles without any problem I was happy. Thank you mom. I made it to my doorstep only to be stopped by my lover's stupid friends. I've always been okay with Ed but Eddy I hated with all my heart. Dammit now I have to be sorta nice don't I? He was fuming as he glared at me his arms crossed over his chest. The bigger one was behind him expressionless.

"So I guess you are dating Double D aren't ya?" He hissed. He didn't like me just as I didn't like him. "Yeah, so what? I'm in a pretty good mood and seeing as you are his best friend I'll be nice. Get off my doorstep before I sock ya face." I snarled back at him starting to roll up my sleeve. He got in my face growling and me stayed like that ready to start a fight when he the big guy coughed so we both looked up at him. Eddy tsked and rubbed the back of his head running his bands through his thick blue hair.

"Look, I don't care if Double D has the hots for you or not. Honestly he's been off lately and if somethin's eating him he won't say a word. I tolerated it and learned enough bits and pieces to get a gist of it. As his oldest friend I see him like a younger brother to me. I would hate to see anything that would make him cry?" He grabbed the collar of my shirt and pulled me down so we were eye level. I hate to admit it but the midget had grown and he's always been a dirty fighter. I'm stronger in a fight but he's smarter. "You even think about making him doing something dumb or breaking his heart I will sniff you out and murder your fucking quarterback ass." he growled as he let go. I actually was a little scared of him for a second.

That's when I saw Ed. His eyes practically screamed murder as he took my shirt and lifted me off the ground. Off. the. Ground. "You hurt Double D. I kill you." He's not a man of many words and I've only seen him angry twice. Once was when we were really young and another was when someone accidentally hit Double D in a fight. Ed had given 3 guys the pounding of their lives only the other Ed's being able to calm him enough. I don't want to face his wrath I think he wasn't joking about killing me.

He let me down as both walked back together to their homes. I guess... that means they've accepted me for now. I let out a huff as I walked into my own house. I pulled out my phone to see my home screen has been blown up with texts and calls from Nazz and Natt. Instead of answering I just shut my phone off again and crawl up to my bedroom falling asleep after such a tiring day. Letting the darkness take over my vision.

"KEVIN GET YOUR ASS OUTTA BED! TIME TO GO TO SCHOOL!" I groaned awake at my Dad's voice. I forgot, I have school. I grumbled as I stumbled out of my room and into the bathroom. I washed my face as I took out my toothbrush. I guess I'm going to get hell at practice. I've been gone for half the week. Then the memories flashed back. It was amazing to know, I have a boyfriend now. My cute Double D. I should walk with him, I took out my phone sending a quick text to him. He has to tell me more about this Pierre kid...