1. The Meeting

Chapter 1: The Meeting

"Ms. Jordan!"

A book slammed loudly, jolting me out my sleep. I heard laughing and I realized I fell asleep again in my lecture. The professor was beat red with anger. "Ms. Jordan, I suggest you follow the other students who are too tired to attend class and not come to my lectures if you are just going to sleep."

"My apologies," I mumble, my body on fire and my ears ringing with my quick pulse. I hear whispers of others around me as I continued to listen to this boring lecture while I rub my eyes awake. I was up all night working on a research paper that was due today in another class. My life has become boring and repetitive during the time in my life where I should be having the most fun. I only chose to move from Atlanta, GA to Springfield, MO is because I got a full ride to MSU. However, I have yet to make many friends so far and it is already sophomore year.

I think I ruined my hair, I thought as I looked at the lifeless straight black hair that fell on my shoulders. It was cold as hell here so I thought it would be smart to keep it straight for a while. But I missed my kinky curls and my misery is probably etched on my face.

I worked at a diner that was walking distance from my apartment complex, which helped with keeping me in some shape since I'm too tired to go to the gym

(Later that day...)

I took the order to my table, mentally thanking Benny behind the stove. I sat the food in front of the perfect looking family. They were all blonde, with straight noses and blue or brown eyes. The mom fed her toddler in his high chair while the dad spoke to the older daughter. I hope to have that some day. A nice family; with the dad providing while I take care of the kids. Of course I'll have a nice career, but if I do have kids I do not want to be working. I want to be a good mother someday, like my mom who took care of my sister and I.

I want that some day. My sister had it, but she looks and acts completely opposite from me with her lighter toned skin and loose curly hair. She was always getting the guys so it was not surprising to know she was married with a little girl on the way.

But it's hard to imagine that for myself; a dark complexion and kinky hair like mines is not preferred by most men that look like me. Maybe it's just based on my experience, but I've come to live with it, because you can't change some people's minds. I just hope I find a soul just right for me, doesn't matter the color of his skin. As long as I'm happy at the end.

"Excuse me, miss?" I look up after pouring some apple juice for the toddler. I meet with a pair of striking grey eyes. The rugged man in front of me with long brown hair had a slightly agitated look that was unnerving.

"Um- yes, sir? How my- may I help you?" I stumbled over my words stupidly.

"Yes, a waitress took our drinks and we've been waiting fifteen minutes. We can't find her anywhere," he jabbed his thumb to two other men sitting at a booth. I grabbed my notepad and pen, looking him in the eyes.