Chapter 17: You Can't Save Everyone

Depuis le début

Something spooky.

A wave of bloodlust washes over everyone there, before stain fell unconscious. And now I am very confused.

Because I mean...Two people I'm pretty sure I fear just helped save my girlfriend, one of which was actively trying to kill me and should be dead.

Walking out of the alley, I help Izumi up. She has a cut on her leg... and as for stain...

Izumi: "(Y/N)!"

(Y/N): "he's...unconscious."

Endeavor: "What the- (Y/N)!"

I walk over to the group of pros, carrying Izumi.

(Y/N): "What...What just happened."

Iida: "I went after stain alone..."

(Y/N): "So Izumi and todoroki came to your rescue."

Izumi: "Where were you?"

(Y/N): "..."

I don't answer, just staring in the direction of stain and where Cole was.

(Y/N): "...I was attacked. They chased me while I tried to make my way to you. I'm...I'm so sorry that I couldn't be there to help."

Ambulances soon arrive, and I leave Izumi in one of the stretchers, sitting with her as she explains what happened. Iida wanted to avenge his older brother, so He went after stain alone. Then Izumi and Todoroki saved him when he was paralyzed by stains quirk.

Somehow, I feel like Endeavor is gonna get credit for this. I mean, with how Endeavor is, I would make sense. Burns, bruises, and broken bones...

He's gonna be annoyed about that and so am I because that is just...so damn stupid.

—————
That law really is stupid though. I'm genuinely not groovin' with it.
—————

Why are all of us in the same hospital room?

After being sent to the hospital, Izumi, Iida, Todoroki, And I had to be tended to for our injuries. Everyone, including me, was covered in cuts, so I had a feeling that everyone here is going to get new scars. The reason I have so many cuts is because I got thrown around by Cole. I almost had to get an arm cast, but thankfully I managed to heal most of my wounds with lots and lots of smoke.

While all of us were in the hospital, Todoroki and Izumi (mostly todoroki) kept pestering me on what happened with me, but I never told them. I don't mind Iida finding out about my whole...Vigilantism thing, but it's just better that they don't know. I mean, Izumi barely knows about Cole, and doesn't know he's still alive. I then think back to yesterday.

Why did Cole help save Izumi?

Just then, a short old man stepped into the hospital room, along with Manual. The old man approached Izumi's bed.

???: "Kid, I've got a lot of complaints for you. And you, (Y/N). You got a history with him."

A man with a dog head then walked into the room. I sighed, since I never wanted to see him again, since he arrested me once a long time ago, But unfortunately...I have to.

(Y/N): "Police chief Kenji Tsuragamae."

Iida and Todoroki stood, Izumi was allowed to sit because of her leg injury, and I just didn't stand up. Because. After all, I don't think he's here for me.

Tsuragamae: "You must be the UA students who took down the hero killer stain, right?"

Todoroki: "Yes."

Tsuragamae: "Regarding the hero killer we arrested...he had fairly serious injuries, with burns and broken bones, and is reviving treatment under strict guard woof."

Guard woof? What the hell is a guard woof?

Tsuragamae: "Being UA students, I'm sure you know that when superpowers we becoming the norm, the police attached a high importance of leadership and standards to make sure that Quirks were not to be weapons. The profession of 'hero' came in to fill that gap woof."

Where's going with this?

Tsuragamae: "For an individual to use a force that could easily kill others- for actions that would be appropriate to denounce- to be accepted officially...is thanks to early heroes who followed the rules and ethics of the profession. For uncertified individuals to use those quirks without specific instructions from their guardians is a clear violation of the rules. The three of you, as well as the pro heroes of Endeavor, Manual, and Gran Torino, must receive strict punishment."

Stupid rules. And it seems Todoroki agrees with me, seeing as she sounds pissed. Hey, if it wasn't her, then it was gonna be me, and I'm not even part of this conversation.

I just blocked out the rest of the conversation, covering my eyes with my arm and trying to go back to sleep. They can sort this out by themselves. By the end of the conversation, they agreed that Endeavor was to be credited for the arrest of stain, and the rest wouldn't be punished for the completely bullshit rules. (Can you tell I don't like those rules?) I then felt a nudge on my shoulder, opening my eyes to see Tsuragamae asking to speak with me alone outside. Reluctantly, I do so.

(Y/N): "What do you want? I didn't do anything."

Tsuragamae: "It's about MacGrath."

Cole?

(Y/N): "You have my attention."

Tsuragamae: "In an alley near where stain was arrested, a police officer found this."

He pulled a picture out of his pocket, words scorched into the wall.

You can't save everyone.

(Y/N): "..."

Tsuragamae: "You attempted to get to you friends, however MacGrath pursued and attempted to kill you, right woof?"

(Y/N): "Yeah...But when he saw Izumi get picked up by the Nomu he...He shot it down."

I leave out the part about me also shooting it down. I'd rather shift the blame of a dead Nomu onto someone who's already murdered people (does killing a Nomu count as murder?).

Tsuragamae: "I see. You're free to go."

Well...that only makes things a little worse. After all, I'm just more confused than before.

Those words on the wall... 'you can't save everyone'...

That may be true... But I can damn well try.

————————————————————

I have nothing to say here soooooo.....

When in doubt, stupid thing.

K bye.