Chapter 30: Homesick

(Y/N) POV

The initial shock of my sudden homecoming hit me like a tsunami, panic being the only thing I could feel. My hands were shaking as I stared at the phone screen. I looked it up again. Again, I was in Empire city. Not just empire city, but the Warren. It's like Detroit, but with less abandoned car factories and more homeless people. At least, That's how I remember it. #1 worst city in America. Probably cause of the lack of heroes who are actually competent and not corrupt.

How shitty The Warren is aside, I had tons of questions and probably no answers.

"How did I get here?"
"Why is my phone still able to connect to Eugene, who's still in japan?"
"How do I get back if I don't even know how I got in here in the first place?"
"Why is Eugene able to control his angel here? How far is his range?"
"If I can't go back the way I came, then how do I get back to Japan? I doubt I can just sneak onto a plane again."

And many more.

Wait. The manhole...maybe that unnatural darkness was someone's portal quirk? That would explain how I'm still able to get reception. The signal is going through the portal.

Getting back up to my feet, I take a deep breath to calm my shaken nerves.

Eugene: "Should I investigate what could have caused this on my end?"

(Y/N): "Depends. Can you control multiple angels or demons at once?"

Eugene: "Yes. Although, the more angels I have, the less finesse I can use. It goes from individuals to a hive mind."

(Y/N): "Then yes. The manhole might be some kind of portal quirk. If you can find the user, then interrogate him. If not, send a couple more angels or demons down here. I've never actually fought with trained assailants, just thugs and extras."

I then continued to make my way through the Sewers, running on walls, parkouring on pipes, trying not to fall into the sewer water because 1 I'd probably die and 2 I'd rather not die by shit water.

Suddenly, after maybe a couple more minutes, I got this strange tingly sensation in my entire body. It was slightly disorienting, however when the suddenness of it wore off, I felt...something. It was coming from deeper in the sewer. It wasn't a physical force, at least not in the sense that wind is. It was more like something in the air, something that I could feel.

(Y/N): "Hey, Eugene, You feel that?"

Eugene: "No, but something is messing with my control of the angel."

It felt...not unpleasant. At least to me. That's when I realized what it was.

Electricity.

There was electricity down in this sewer. A whole lot of it. It wasn't being used to power the machines, I saw individual generators for that. Instead it felt more like standing next to a massive balloon full of static. I could feel the hair on my limbs stand on end. But something about it felt off. I had Kaminari zap me and I've licked batteries (both because Kirishima dared me to) and in both instances, it didn't feel like this.

Closer, closer, closer we got to the source of the electricity, and more and more I felt the electricity warp, until eventually, through one more hole in the wall, we had found the source. It was an old substation. Thing is, it wasn't attached to any cables into the ceiling or floor or anything like that, it was covered in globs of tar and clearly jerry rigged to power the floodlights and what looked like air purifiers that had been set up, with the excess electricity being used to electrify the water. Around the substation, The yellow swat officers and brown hazmats were walking about, some standing guard while others were transporting boxes into...