The Gods' Fear

As the gods of Olympus stay upon their throne, they are unaware of the three gods who sit upon theirs anticipating the reunion of their three sons. "The Big Three" as they are commonly referred to. The entire pantheon bows underneath Zeus, Poseidon, and Hade - rulers of the sky, the sea, and the underworld respectfully. The three kings are viewed as mighty and powerful, and rightfully so as they were victorious against Kronos, the murderous titan that fathered the brothers. But what the pantheon does not know that hidden behind feigned smiles and glassy eyes, is the secret knowledge that if the children of these seemingly unfallable rulers wished to challenge their place, the kings, themselves, know that it would be suicide to disobey.

    As they watch upon their screen, they see their children all born in three different places. Separated by birth, but bonded by fate. The three brothers ponder how they've gotten to this point. Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon look upon their children in barely contained fear and anguish. How is it that gods, who once ruled the earth as if it was a millennial task, are now shaken at the thought of their children discovering their true power?

But in a sigh of relief that sends gusts of winds across the Pacific, the gods relaxed as the children lived their lives innocently. They are only children, the gods forced themselves to remember. They play as children do - nothing at all the enemies that the gods' perceive so fearfully. Nothing at all what the Fates claim they would be. Zeus would never admit it to his brothers whom laugh awkwardly to break the tension in the heavens, but he could swear that when he looked closer at the three, they had peered up and right into his own eyes, almost as all-seeing like him.

And with the glint of an ancient fire winking in their eyes, Zeus, for just a moment, did not see three children merely breathing on earth- but three children knowingly walking in the blood of Rhea, his mother - the Earth Goddess. And that gleam within their eyes as they gaze into his own sent the message locked at the back of his throat as he represses a shudder.
These children will soon bathe in the blood of the Pantheon.

That is why these children must never know their true name. Their true potential. No Olympian that thrives and no being from the underworld that decays shall ever touch these children.

They are warned all over the globe, from the highest mountain top to the shadow behind the darkest corner that these children should never meet those beyond the mortal realm. If they realized their true power and know the names that the gods have given them, what will awaken is not a power that can be controlled. And what will become of the world will be unknown.

After being told the prophecy by the Fates, the gods conjured a plan that will avoid this unforeseen future. As long as the children breathe, they have the potential to find the power within them. But as they die, they will only yield a power of an Olympian. As constructed as this plan may be, the answer is simple; prevent the children from ever uttering their names, from ever bearing powers to be seen. The names given to them by the Fates will be names hidden in the crooks of the world.

But those wise eyes of all the chosen children. They pierce shadows with such a directness. Do they already know? Can they already see? There are days when the gods yearn to reach forward. To envelop the darkness around their child and hold them for all they have survived and will have to survive. The temptation is particularly strong for the children of the mighty, as misery loves deities.

Many believe that gods are the unfathomable power, but even rulers must bend to the unbearable as they watch their kids grow, love, fear, and live. Was this how Kronos felt? Forced to learn he will succumb to forces above his own, but tried to change his destiny nonetheless? To believe he couldn't fall to a force greater than he?

Oh how far he fell.

Poseidon looks to his brother Zeus, and clamps his back to relieve the obvious tension in Zeus' shoulders. He chuckles a little too hard, "Brother why the seriousness? We wield the world around them. What is to become of them is our power. Our will." Despite Poseidon's best efforts, Zeus barely paid attention to Poseidon feigning his anger, as he knows he is just breaking the unbearable silence.

With a swipe of his hands, Hades takes away the image glued to Zeus' eyes. "Brother," Hades starts in his gravely voice, "if all we do is pay attention to our children, there will be no control of other beings that might attempt to...catalyze on this awareness. Besides, the pantheon needs to be told of your doctrine on what to do for your son. They are beginning to grow restless with your silence on the immense power we all feel in him."

Zeus looks to both of his brothers, frustration melting upon his features. Inwardly, Zeus recognizes that Hades is correct. After all, Zeus, ruler of all, can feel the uneasiness in his court as his subjects look up to him expectantly. Leaving his throne, Zeus sets his sights towards the image of Olympus on his balcony - surveying the divine beings whom he has seen for eons. How would they react if they learned the truth? How much blood would they spill to prevent their own bloodshed? Does choosing the children endanger Zeus' siblings?

"Brother! Brother!" Poseidon cried out, but his voice merely became an echo miles away from Zeus.

Zeus' eyes sweep upon all the gods who once were nothing, just mere subjects who wouldn't dare cross the immense power he wields. In the back of his mind, however, he wonders if those children will one day do the same to him.