Chapter Forty Six

"Are you ready?" Delilah said as she walked into the Ravenclaw common room, greeted by the sight of Tom splayed out leisurely on the couch and reading a book. Afternoon light drifted through the high windows, warming his skin and his cheeks were lightly flushed. 

  He was truly beautiful.

  "Ready for what?" he drawled, licking his finger before flipping a page. Rolling her eyes, she walked over and nicked the book from his fingers, before he could utter a complaint she sat herself on his lap. His arms wrapped around her without a thought, his lips tilting as he watched her for a moment. 

  "Oh I see, ready for round two?"

  She slapped his chest, scoffing but placing a chaste kiss to his cheek. Delilah rested against him as her eyes danced around her common room. It didn't seem real, her and Tom just lounging around in the eagles' tower. A moment of peace. With a sigh she stood up, tugging Tom up with her. "Dumbledore's called on us, he's returned from the ministry."

  "Shame, I thought we were done with the old fool," he said. She began to walk but he pulled her back to him, he smiled at her wide eyes and ran a hand along her cheek before gripping the back of her neck and pulling her closer. Tom bent his head down and placed a light kiss on the edge of her jaw, letting his lips linger before brushing along the side of her mouth and pressing them to hers. 

  Tom's other arm wrapped around her waist and she had to push up on her toes to meet his movements, his lips exploring her's for what felt like the first time all over again. His tongue grazed along her bottom lip and a whimpering noise left her before she could help it. They kissed, nipped and tugged at each other's lips and his hand twined in her hair. He tasted like tea and tobacco and she could drown in it. 

  Eventually she pulled back, her chest rising and falling heavily, "Dumbledore-"

  "Fuck the damn meeting," he muttered and she laughed against him and his lips pressed to her again. She only kissed him back a few more times before she had to wrench herself from his grasp. 

  "Darling, you're much too needy," Delilah teased as she turned around, a yelp leaving her as he pinched her ass as they walked out and began their descent down the tower. After a long moment of catching their breath, Tom looked at her, he could tell she was nervous for what the meeting would entail and he took her hand, the familiar chill of her skin running through him. 

  Tom wondered if she would tell Dumbledore about the issue of her frozen body-clock, she probably should, but that was her story to tell. Not his, he'd leave that up to Delilah. 

  When they reached the professor's door, they hadn't even knocked when the door swung open. "Good afternoon," Dumbledore greeted, gesturing for them to come in. Tom squeezed her hand and she smiled before walking in first. He led them to his office and they sat down, both turning down his offer of a lemon drop. 

  Her eyes drifted to the golden jewelry box sitting on his desk, her breath catching in her throat, "is that what I think it is?" He nodded, then lifted the lid. Inside sat the golden time turner, laying on a soft cushion of red velvet. Tom eyed it curiously, his head tilting to the side and his eyes glowing like a bird of prey. He'd never actually seen one before, it looked exceptionally ordinary. 

  "What now?" he asked and Dumbledore leaned back in his seat, pulling at the tufts of his beard. "Miss Meddows, you said you left from the year 1998, correct?" She nodded, "around July."

  "I need a specific date."

  She blew air through her nose and thought, it had been so many months since she showed up in the past, things became a bit of a blur. But she remembered Harry's birthday was only about a week away, "July 22." 

  Dumbledore nodded, "I have it on good authority then to send you about three months after the fact." 

  Delilah gaped at him, "three months?" 

  "On what good authority?" Tom asked, his eyes partially narrowed and the old professor met his gaze, unwavering.

  "Mine."

  That wasn't a proper answer, which unnerved Delilah, but she shook it off. Dumbledore would always have his secrets. "So, we're doing October then?" He nodded and picked up the time-turner, the gold chain running along his fingers like water as he set a date and time. "October the fifteenth, at eight in the morning. Now, from wherever you depart, you will arrive in that same location in the future. I'd recommend Hogwarts that way you don't end up under a building that wasn't here in the forties."

  Delilah nodded, her mind's gears turning as she realized this was finally happening, she was looking at her ticket home. Finally, after months of waiting and uncertainty. 

  Tom pulled his attention away from the object and looked at Delilah, taking in how she was leaning forward in her seat, her eyes on fire. His stomach churned uncomfortably. 

  "Prepare and pack lightly if need be, you'll be leaving tomorrow." Dumbledore smiled at them both and Delilah blinked as she realized Tom was standing up. "You go on, I'll meet you in a minute." He opened his mouth to argue, but with the look on her face he nodded. He didn't want anymore secrets, but he had to trust her. An area he was a bit out of practice with. With a nod, he left and shut the door behind him. 

  Once Delilah was sure Tom was gone, she turned to Dumbledore and bit at her cheek. "Sir, that object that I had to initially retrieve at the Ministry... what do you think it was? Because I get the hint you know more than you're letting on." She was annoyed, but had to admit he was still helping her. 

  The transfigurations professor smiled at her over his spectacles, "it seems Miss Meddows, you're going to find out very soon."