Chapter Fifteen

The next morning, Delilah was wandering the halls when she came upon a large arch way carved from stone. Once she neared it and was able to look inside, a wide smiled pulled her lips back and a laugh tumbled out from her lungs.

  "Now that's just showing off."

  The library was massive. It wasn't bigger than the Hogwarts one of course, but the ceilings were higher and were intricately carved. Corinthian columns stood at the end of each isle to hold up the ceiling, and at the top of each was a statue of a kneeling person, appearing to hold up the roof with their backs. It was beautiful but Delilah had a sick feeling that was probably supposed to represent a muggle.

  She wandered down numerous rows and her mind raced with all the new titles, some incredibly dark. Books such as these would either be in the restricted section at Hogwarts or purely banned.

  Her curiosity got the best of her and she tried to reach for a book on blood magic that was on the sixth shelf, but even on her toes it was a fruitless attempt. She didn't have her wand with her, which was quite stupid and really growing to be a bad habit.

  In her bout of struggle, she failed to notice the footsteps approaching. A pale hand reached out directly above her and easily grabbed the book she was trying to reach.

  Delilah yelped in surprise and spun around to find Tom standing barley a foot in front of her. Instinct kicked in and she backed away, only to knock into the bookshelf. He didn't move away, nor did he come closer. Not like it mattered, there's was probably only ten inches at max between them.

  He studied the old and tattered book, the pages yellow with age. "Blood Ritual Magic? Quite dark for you, isn't it?" He was met with her steady gaze, her expression blank. He hated it. Usually if Tom did something like this, even just standing close to her, he managed to get at least a small twitch of a reaction. But she was giving him nothing.

  "May I have that?" Delilah held out her hand and now it was his turn to stare at her.

  He realized he'd crossed a certain boundary after dinner last night, seeing as every moment afterwards she acted as if he didn't exist. He was annoyed at the fact that he was annoyed. He shouldn't care, and Tom kept telling himself he didn't. But watching her eyes pass over him as if he was just anyone else, someone she didn't know, someone she took no interest in, it made his stomach give an unpleasant lurch.

  "Riddle." She snapped her fingers and made a grabbing motion for the book, as if she was telling a five year old to do something. He raised a brow at her. "Did you just snap your fingers at me?" He promptly crossed his arms over his chest, tucking the book against his side.

  Delilah ignored how his muscles pulled against the fabric of his shirt. She wasn't use to seeing any of the boys out of their school uniforms, it was a bit overwhelming.

  "Yes, or are you blind? You're acting like an incompetent child. Now give me the book." She bit.

  Tom tilted his head to the side, purely amused. He was just content with getting a reaction out of her that he decided to let the insult pass. He sighed and pulled the book out in front of him, Delilah made a grab for it but he pulled the novel back. He raised his brows at her, as a silent sign to wait.

  He flicked the book open to a random page. He's read it before, but it had been about two years since the last time he was at Avery Manor.

  It was a fascinating study, blood magic. And was rarely used in the modern era, considering there were easier and less dangerous means of conducting some rituals. The spells were complicated and intricate, only those with high intellect and patience could achieve the level of sophistication needed.