Chapter Twenty Nine

"Look at you," Lolita gave Delilah a warm smile as she eyed her in the mirror, adjusting her robes. Delilah gave her a small smile in return before turning back to her reflection, a thoughtful gleam in her eyes.

The brunette raised a brow as she fixed her hair, "what's on your mind, Del?"

"Nothing, it's just..." turning, she sat on her bed and let her fingers run over the soft fabric for the last time. "I never thought I'd actually make it to graduation." Seeing as Delilah had spent every waking hour avoiding being killed back in her own time. She didn't even think she'd live to see her eighteenth birthday.

Lolita laughed lightly, "me neither, considering some of my grades." Delilah forced a chuckle and nodded before looking at the mirror.

The door swung open and they were greeted with Olive, looking pristine as ever. Her eyes raked over them both before an annoyed huff passed her lips. "Why on earth are you two not ready yet? Delilah, where's your cap? We have to be down there in ten minutes."

Lolita and Delilah eyed each other with looks of amusement before picking up their pace. Halfheartedly shoving her cap on her head, she made haste out the door and nearly tripped down the stairs due to her heels. She hadn't worn heels in months.

"Graceful as ever," Pyrrhus teased and gave her wink as she returned the gesture with a choice of finger.

"Where's Riddle?" Lolita asked while Cain threw an arm over her shoulders, pulling her in close while placing a chaste kiss to her cheek. They were adorable. "He's having a final meeting with the professors, being Valedictorian and all." Abraxas muttered while he checked his reflection in the mirror.

"Are you excited?" Elio's voice drew Delilah's attention and she nodded once, a hand reaching up to mess with her necklace but all she could feel was the imprint; it was tucked under her robes. "I'm nervous I'll fall while getting my diploma."

A light laughed passed his lips as his hands raised to fix her cap, seeing as she put it on crooked, "you'll look wonderful."

_________________________________

Rows upon rows of chairs were set up on the bay of the Great Lake, the soft spring air twirling through the lines of students anxiously awaiting for the ceremony to start. On both sides there was seating for family, friends, et cetera. Delilah having no one, though she found some comfort in not being the only one. Tom's parents weren't there either.

Would he be happy if they were? If his relationship with them had been different, would his parents be proud? Their one and only son, Valedictorian of Hogwarts, class of 1944.

She would like to think so, but reality poisoned that thought.

At the front was a stage which held the staff and Tom, a fashioned golden podium front and center. A hush fell over the crowd as Dippet stood up, waving to students and guests alike with a beaming smile. "Congratulations, you've made it!" He cheered, his voice echoing loudly across the mass and the water behind him.

He was met with cheers, whistles, and claps, Delilah joining in, allowing herself this moment of joy. Dippet went on with a speech explaining how proud he was of each and every one of his students, even reminiscing in a few choice entertaining stories. Next were the four heads of houses, and Delilah might've cheered a bit too much as a Slytherin for Dumbledore. She made a mental note to talk to him after the ceremony.

When Slughorn finished, tears seemed to shine in his eyes when he cleared his throat, "now, I have the ultimate privilege to bring forward one of my own students, who's exceedingly bright and our Valedictorian, Tom Marvolo Riddle!"