Chapter 1

"Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different..."

— C.S, Lewis

*****

The sound of their careful, but nervous footsteps echoed around the dark forest.

A small smile found its way across my face at how some of them were afraid of walking through the woods, especially at night.

Isn't it logical to not look for someone when there's barely any light?

They should know that the shadows are the worst place to look for me.

"Are you sure she's around here?" I heard someone ask as I watched from afar.

"I know it's here. We've kept track of the places where she's been seen; this is the area where she likes to play."

The men weren't stupid enough to separate like I thought they would, which brought me to try out a plan I've been working on.

I silently moved a bit closer to the six men, unnoticed, and broke a twig I had in my hands; the sound resonating eerily throughout the forest.

This isn't the first time they've gone out here at night to look for me. I usually just stay far, far away from them to avoid any useless fighting, but today was another story.

Instantly, the men stopped and drew their swords on instinct.

A few of them were shaking; their breathing heavy.

"Who's out there?" One of the men yelled.

Of course only silence met them. I remained quiet, and waited for the group to start moving again.

"Maybe it was just an animal." Someone whispered.

The person, who I assumed was the captain of the small gang, signaled for them to walk again.

They clearly showed fear as they kept going; brandishing their weapons to guard themselves with.

"Two are holding lanterns. I'll tell you when you're too close to them." I heard my friend whisper in my ear.

As I followed the men, I picked up another branch and waited for the right time to break it. They continued to walk through the forest, turning their heads in every direction as if an animal might lunge at them and rip their throats out.

I guess, in a way, I was going to do that.

"Go back a few feet." My friend whispered.

I carefully distanced myself from the group and waited.

"Where is she?"

I quickly snapped the stick as soon as he finished asking the question.

They stopped and two soldiers raised their lanterns to shine its light in the darkness.

I quickly hid behind a tree before both of them turned where I was.

A low frustrated growl came from one of the men, "The girl's playing with us. She's out here following our every move."

How paranoia can cloud the mind.

"Climb the tree in front of you," I heard my companion whisper to me, "I'll tell you when."

"Damn it, show yourself!" The captain yelled.

I smiled as I climbed the tree my friend pointed out to me quietly and crouched on a sturdy branch and watched them carefully.

"Do you really think I would do that just because you ask?" I said this at a close distance to them.

"Stop playing games, demon, and fight us!" The captain yelled, his voice ringing throughout the quiet forest.