Chapter 9

"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."

― Ernest Hemingway

*****

I opened my eyes and let the earth's waves show me where I was. My heart lurched with fear. Why was I in a prison cell? Then I remembered that I got captured by the Army, and put inside Silent Edge to 'rot for the rest of my miserable life' as I remember the Commander say to me before the prison became my new home.

"You're awake," a voice said.

That's when I noted that I fell asleep in Cloud's arms. He still had his arm stretched across my shoulders. Heat rose in my cheeks at being so close to him, and quickly backed away from him, not wanting to be touched.

"I-I am sorry." I stammered lamely.

Why was I apologizing? Why did I stutter? What's wrong with me?

"It's fine, I liked the company."

Now I know my entire face is burning up, I thought.

"Hey, Shadowmyst," a female voice yelled, ending the awkward moment," how was your first night's stay in here?"

"It was fine, the Commander finally remembered to untie us." I responded.

"He kept you both tied up that long? I'm surprised neither of you complained about it..."

I looked at Cloud with a mischievous smile on my face, immediately forgetting what happened not too long ago. I knew he was giving me the don't-say-anything look. I tried to hold in the laughter that was struggling to escape.

"You two slept in the same cell together. What happened?" said the same female voice.

She sounded a bit too amused.

"Nothing happened," I said hoping my tone of voice didn't give anything away even though the expression on my face could.

"Really?" she said slowly, suggestively.

"Leave them alone, Raven. You're always so nosy." Someone said to my left.

Her response was just laughter.

"I forgot to tell you," the man across from me said, "that all of us have nicknames just to get people more comfortable here," he explained," I'm Baasim, which in Arabic means smiling. I used to be a traveler so I know a few languages."

"I'm Eagle. I'm usually the person that brings laughter to everyone." The man to my left said.

"I'm Raven, and I'm usually the one that always makes fun of Eagle when I get the chance." The woman to my right said.

There were a few snickers here, and there at the comments. I heard Eagle grumble something inaudible.

"You'll learn the names of the others as the days go by," Baasim continued, ignoring the battle that Eagle and Raven were having. "Now it's your turn to pick a nickname for yourself."

"I think they already have the good ones," I whispered to Cloud.

He sat there, thinking.

"I got it," he said after a moment's thought, "I think Lynx is a good choice."

"Then you'll be known as Lynx from now on." said Eagle.

I felt joy fill Cloud-sorry Lynx. I wonder what Lynx means.

"You can always change yours, Shadowmyst." I thought about it then said, "No, I'm fine with being called Shadowmyst. I don't want to upset Eagle about the whole creativity thing..."