Chapter 18

"It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important."

― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

******

I woke up to the sound of quiet murmurs. What they were saying I couldn't tell.

When I opened my eyes, I again found myself in darkness.

"You're awake." A voice said. It belonged to Lynx.

I smiled faintly and noticed I was lying down with Lynx's arms around me. My smile quickly faded and my heart began to race as my breath got caught in my throat. I quickly backed away from him into my usual corner and stared at him with an accusing look. He knew I would react like that or did he forget again?

"Do you have a death wish?" I hissed through gritted teeth.

"No, but I always wished for a pony. You know those are really hard to get around here." He whispered in a serious tone.

"Wha--? N-never mind. I don't want to know."

Something is very wrong with this kid.

I released a heavy sigh.

"Just...give me a few minutes."

Taking deep breaths, I finally managed to compose myself.

I swear I had the right mind to break his--

"Silver, you were crying in your sleep, kept mumbling something." He whispered.

Everything that Zephyr said came back to me.

My mother, Maeve...

Tears stung my eyes again, but I blinked them back. I didn't want Lynx to see me cry again.

I willed my stiff muscles to relax.

"What happened, Silver?"

I stayed silent, thinking of how I would explain this to him or if I should tell him to begin with.

Silver, he must know of this. He already knows about The Purge, you cannot keep such a secret hidden for too long.

As carefully as I could manage, I retold everything that Zephyr explained to me. When I finished, Lynx was deep in thought.

Minutes passed by until I heard his voice again, "So, you're part of this ancient prophecy that's been passed down for generations in the Dragon Race and you have to eliminate this "deceiver"? Do you know who that person is?"

No, it usually takes some time to interpret who the person is the premonition is talking about.

I repeated what Zephyr told me and added that I did so when I felt confusion come from Lynx.

"I forgot you two can use telepathy. Is there a way for me to talk to Zephyr directly so you don't have to repeat everything he says?"

My brows furrowed in confusion.

Is that possible?

He sighed.

When Maeve gave me permission to "step into your body" she meant that I could take over your body and control it without you willing your body to move.

I quickly thought about this.

Are there any side effects?

No, but I shall be able to make some adjustments so you are still aware of what is going on around you.

"It's possible. Just give me a few minutes."

Lynx's outline showed me that he nodded and waited for me to do the transfer.