Chapter 46

"Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it."

―Ann Landers

***

We strolled around the valley but it was all the same. The scenery remained unchanged.

"Shouldn't we be seeing other people by now?" I questioned, trying to locate something different aside from flowers and grass.

"I think this is more like my own little world." Cloud mused, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

"So each host gets their own place? Can you cross over to their worlds?"

"I don't know. I haven't tried yet."

"I didn't take you as someone who likes flowers." I teased.

"Hey! They smell nice and look pretty. Don't judge." He grumbled, crossing his arms.

"I wasn't judging. I was making a statement." I laughed.

My gaze shifted to the sky.

"It's a nice place to relax. Aren't you going to get bor—"

Cloud's arms wrapped around my waist as his head nuzzled next to mine.

My breathing stopped for a bit before returning to normal. I grit my teeth and clenched my hands into fists, trying to resist the urge to push Cloud away.

"I'm sorry. I know you hate being touched but, please, let me have this. I don't know when the next time I see you will be. I just want to remember this."

I hesitated before I reached out and entwined my fingers in his hair as well as lacing my fingers together with his that were around my middle.

I shut my eyes as we got lost in the moment; the breeze gently swayed the plants and caressed our skin.

"I'll come back, Cloud. I can't stay away from you for too long. You...you're the one that saved me from my loneliness." I turned around to face him and gently caressed his cheeks, our foreheads touching. "You've done so much for me, Cloud. More than you realize. I know thanking you won't be enough. You've changed me. A lot more than I thought was possible. Without you, I would still be that cold and emotionless person. So..."

Before I lost my courage to anxiety, I softly kissed his forehead.

There was a pause. In the silence I heard Cloud's breath hitch.

I blushed, looking away.

I got a small glimpse of his surprised face and red staining his cheeks before I gazed at the flowers in embarrassment.

It was quiet, but we're comfortable with the lack of sound.

It was a long while before Cloud spoke, "You miss them too, huh?"

I looked over at him.

"Your parents, I mean."

"I..."

Pause.

"I don't know if Maeve is here or where my father could be." I ran a hand through my hair. "I don't think I'm ready to face them again if I find them. Not after what I did. I just can't."

I don't know how they would react. Would they be proud of me? Would they be disappointed? It's hard to tell. I've met fake versions of them enough times that it made the lines of reality blur so I don't really know them at all. And they don't know me.