Chapter 33

"All the art of living lies is a fine mingling of letting go and holding on."
― Henry Havelock Ellis

*** 

You need to be more careful.

I didn't realize I had closed my eyes until I cautiously opened them to look around me. I couldn't see anything. I gingerly touched my chest expecting to find a wound, but there was none.

Where are we?

A couple miles inside the Earth's crust.

There was a heartbeat of silence.

You do realize that no one would ever say that as casually as you, right?

I heard him laugh softly.

We should be safe for at least one minute.

That's reassuring.

My body started to move upwards through the earth's crust as if I was floating. The dragon's abilities continue to amaze me.

Zephyr, what happened back there? Was that Azazel or Alycia?

It was definitely Azazel, but it appears that breaking his spirit in two meant splitting a part of his personality from himself. It seems he truly did not foresee this to happen.

He's been alive for such a long time. Wouldn't he know that would happen if he used his special ability?

Cloud becoming the host might have warped his technique; it gave him back his humanity. What little of it may remain.

That sounds too good to be true.

Even so, we must formulate a plan—

But we still have to kill Alycia.

The dragon didn't respond for a few seconds.

Yes.

Dammit.

I finally reached the surface; my body slipping through the ground like water and appeared at some random place in The Howling Woods. I was ready to start sprinting further into the forest when I saw the kid in front of me.

"I'm glad you're able to get away; that was clever." She said, her lips quirked into a small smile.

"Is it true, then?" I asked, getting straight to the point.

"Yes. Azazel wasn't aware this would happen. This is the first time he's used this technique on a human. It appears he hasn't lost his humanity entirely yet because of Cloud."

I honestly didn't know what to say to that.

"Here," The girl said as she tossed me Haze. "Take better care of them."

I smiled one of my famous half smiles.

"Will do," I said as I carefully inspected the weapons.

"You know what to do then."

I looked up to ask more questions, but she was gone. I started to move but stopped when I felt something prickle my back.

"You know I really thought my brother would've trained you better," Azazel's voice whispered lowly in my ear.

I stood still not knowing what to do when I felt an arm slid around my waist.

"You should listen to what Cloud is saying right now. He's yelling at me to stop. The guy can really cause one hell of a headache though."