Chapter 32

"Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of a pure heart."
―  José N. Harris, MI VIDA: A Story of Faith, Hope and Love

***

I stared wide eyed at the kid as her head slumped forward almost like her neck was broken.

A few heartbeats of tension passed and the kid still hasn't moved. I knew she wasn't dead but her staying motionless like that made fear strike my heart at seeing her that way again.

She slowly raised her head and what I saw made that fear course through my veins. Her once kind brown eyes were replaced by those hatred filled red eyes.

Zephyr, we have to save her!

The only way to save her is to end her life.

No. No, there has to be another way.

There is no other way! The dragon's voice boomed in my head making me flinch at his commanding and serious tone.

If there were some other alternative I would not be saying that the only way to free her is by killing her.

No. No.

"No, Goddammit! It can't end like this!" I yelled, frustrated as tears stung my eyes. "I can't do this. Not again. I can't see her die again." I whispered as my tears slipped down my cheeks.

I continued to stare at the girl I was so fond of. Her smile no longer held playful happiness but horrid malice and it was just wrong to see her smile that way—her eyes, oh God, her eyes—they shouldn't have murderous intent reflecting on them, instead they should have a combination of joy, curiosity and a hint of mischievousness.

What have I done, what have I done?

"You'll have to do this again, Silver. Sorry," Azazel said nonchalantly. "But this time you get to see the light fade from her eyes, knowing it was you who caused her death."

The way he said it made fury boil in my veins as I started to stand up; a dangerous growl rumbling in my throat.

Silver, calm—

No, Zephyr. You said it yourself. There's no other way.

I realize that but you cannot go into battle in the state you are in! Calm yourself, Silver. Do not fight a battle blind.

I would've laughed if we were still in Silent Edge.

Slowly, my rage was replaced by an eerie calmness and I was no longer driven by impulse but reason.

"Again, Zephyr? Really? Let the kid run wild with all that pent-up agression once in a while." Cloud said, shaking his head.

I blinked and my eyes widened when he was suddenly in front of me.

"It would really do her some good."

His hand grasped my throat as he lifted me up and slammed me onto the ground. I was momentarily stunned; the air left my lungs as I coughed and wheezed to get it back.

"You're too easy, kid."

I opened my eyes to see Cloud hovering over me with a playful smirk on his face. I tried to move but tree roots suddenly held down my wrists and ankles. I continued to struggle despite knowing that doing so wouldn't change anything. I just hated not being able to do anything.

I stopped moving when I saw the kid looking down on me. Her face was a blank mask as she stared at me. I didn't know what to do. My eyes searched hers for any form of recognition; anything, but found none. She was already gone.

Her features twisted into that horrible smile again, darkness returning to her eyes.

I then noticed that she held a knife and that's when I knew I couldn't hurt her.

"Alycia, please, don't do this." I pleaded uselessly. "This isn't you."

The kid tipped her head almost like she was considering something; her smile gone. Then it spread across her lips again.

"There's more to people than meets the eye." She whispered as she carefully slid the knife from my face to my chest. Her voice didn't change into the deep tone that Azazel has. It only made a shiver go down my spine at hearing her say those words.

My breathing started to pick up when she held up the knife; its point poking my chest, ready to pierce my heart.

"Do you fear death, Silver?" The kid questioned casually; her expression suddenly curious.

I stared into her red eyes, lost in its many colors.

"We all die at some point, so what's the use in fearing something that you know will happen eventually."

She nodded slowly, almost in understanding.

"I pity you, you know," She said, as she looked somewhere else. "You can die while I get to live and see everyone die around me." The kid said in a monotone.

I furrowed my brows in confusion but a growl escaped my throat as she pushed the blade down. Bit by tiny bit.

"W-what do you mean? I thought that's what you wanted to do." I asked.

"What are you waiting for? Kill her!" Cloud shouted.

The kid looked back at me with sympathy in her eyes.

"I'm so sorry, Silver."

She lifted her arm and brought the blade down, piercing my heart.

***

Don't forget to comment and vote!