Chapter 20 - Graveyard

We found our way back to the campsite that we were at almost twenty-eight hours ago

We found our way back to the campsite that we were at almost twenty-eight hours ago. Avernus set up the fire, Rem and Rina moved some logs around it and I stared at the cold metal box in my hands. No matter how long I held it, it remained cold as ice.

"Where do we go from here?" Rem asked.

"We go home I guess. As much as hunting for the demon lair sounds fun, I think we've had enough adventure."

I returned the box to my bag and kept it right by my side. It's not like I didn't trust my friends, it's just that I have a feeling to keep it from them.

Rina sighed and laid her head on a log, looking up to the sky. "That whole thing was the scariest experience of my life. Watching people getting injured left and right to watching bodies get ripped apart — I don't think I'm going to be having nice dreams anymore."

"You think that was scary," Rem chuckled. "I grew a tail out of my ass and got a sudden primal urge to kill everything. I was the one that was terrified."

"But Rem, you could defend yourself." Avernus reasoned.

"Eh, tomayto tomarto."

I felt my stomach stir as flashes from my dream reappeared. I took my bag and followed my instinct to where the river ran. I sat down cross-legged and stared at the moonlight sparkling on the water.

I knew Malphas would have had eyes on us, but when the demons attacked the church, what were they really after? One or two of them tried to take me but the others didn't seem to care who I was. A couple also went for the box, but, again, only seemed like they were looking for a fight. Maybe demons aren't as smart as we were told.

A small breeze blew in and rustled the trees. The stars above seemed to be flicking, telling me hello. Nature was so peaceful at night, yet so dangerous. One slip up and you could find yourself dead.

A leaf crunched behind me, making me while my head around to find Avernus with his hands up in surrender. "I saw you snuck away and wanted to make sure you were alright."

"I am." I nodded and watched him stand awkwardly, not knowing what to do. "You can sit with me if you want to, I don't mind."

He sat beside me and stretched one let out and pulled the other to his chest. We listened to Rina and Rem's echoing laughter from behind us and watched a family of bats flocks into a tree.

"Are you ok?" Avernus broke the silence. "You've just been kind of... Sheepish."

"I can't get that dream out of my head," I admitted. "It's in the back of my mind like a silent reminder."

"I heard talking about these type of things help. Like, getting a weight lifted off your chest."

I started drawing shapes with my finger in the water. "It's not the first time I've had a dream like that. Usually, I'm not that threatened, but this time... This time it could actually happen. He's not just a cousin to me — he's my brother. He never let anyone mess with me and always had my back if they did. He's like my personal lawyer thanks to the number of times he's had to convince someone a stupid thing I did was a mistake." I chuckled.