Chapter 2

I walk in the building. After my melt down yesterday, I collected myself and drove home. I don't know how to go on living anymore. Everything keeps on falling apart. How do I collect myself from here.

I walk past reception without so much as a glance at Stacy. I know I won't be able to open my mouth without crying my soul out. I will not embarrass myself something I have engraved in my bones, I carry myself with great pride and walk with my head held high no matter the situation. Mother made sure I learn that as an infant.

I make it to my office and make it my mission to work my butt off. I make sure that the only thought in my head is work, work, work and more work. I prepare a proposal for Samsung Mobile. Father wants to buy some shares so I have to prepare a proposal and pitch it to the board in the upcoming board meeting with the shareholders. It has to be perfect because the board is filled with grumpy old man who are sexist.

The rest of the day is spent perfecting the proposal. I never left my office. My mood becomes bitter and bitter as the day turns into night. Tomorrow I have to go to the dinner at the house that shall not be named. I dread the day and I wish it will never come.

The next day which is Friday. It marks a lot of things and probably for many people it means something positive but not for me. Since I woke up I feel this suffocating feeling, I feel like taking two steps is a load of work. Nonetheless I dragged myself out of bed and went to work. I tried burying myself in work but failed as I remember that in a few hour I have to face Mark and that isn't easy to do.

I walk down to my car. Today I haven't been functioning well that I need a driver to get to work. My driver open the door for me and just before I can slide in someone calls for me. I straighten my back and look around but just as I turn around I'm attacked by an old woman who squeeze me between her arms.

When she pulls away I recognise her as one of the women from my mother's club. Mrs Florence.

"Mrs Florence, how are you?" I greet her as polite as I can while trying to smile.

"Oh Riley always so sweet even to old ladies like me." She gush and I genuinely smile at her. This is probably the first genuine smile I've had in two weeks.

"Oh you're not that old Mrs Florence. We can probably pass as sisters." I tell her. It's true, she doesn't look very old to me.

"See always so sweet." She gush some more. "Is she sweet?" She gesture to my driver, Josh who's still holding the door for me. Josh only nods with an impassive look. "You're glowing my dear, being engaged suits you."

There's nothing remotely wrong with her compliment but as she finishes, tears begin to pool in my eyes and the suffocating feeling which had taken a vacation three minutes ago comes back with so much force. I open my mouth to thank her but whimper instead.

Mother and father didn't want to hear it when I told them I was calling off the wedding. Even after I told them the reason they told me Mark and I could work our differences and make it work. They don't understand. They never did

Here is the story, when Mark and I were born we were already in an arranged marriage. And since our families were friends we spent most of our childhood together. He was my protector against bullies and everything threatening me. He was my shoulder to cry on when I fell and hurt my knee. You can say it's luck that we fell in love before our arranged marriage came into play.

When we started middle school we realised that we weren't just best friends, we also realised we were in love. Now you get it when I say I lost everything. He was my best friend, my fiance, my partner in crime, he was my world. I built myself around him. I don't function without him. But now how am I suppose to live without him.