Chapter 17

I froze where I was wondering what she could want, “how do you know who I am and what do you want with me?” she cackled, “I’ve been watching you ever since you got acquainted with Jefferson and since I vowed to make Jefferson’s life hell and what better way to do that then mess with the woman he is smitten over?” I shook my head, “you’re crazy Jefferson could never be attracted to someone like me.” she stopped and studied me, “you’re modest unlike most girls these days.” she paused, “I can see what Jefferson sees in you.” I let out a shaky breath, “so what are you gonna find me and capture me or something.” she shrugged, “I was thinking more along the lines of making you forget your memories of him once you make it official I haven’t figured out all of the details yet.” I chewed on my lip, “anyway I have to get back to my evil scheming ta-ta.” she waved her hand and made me disappear in a puff of purple smoke I shot up and noticed that I was no longer in the infirmary but instead outside of Jefferson’s cabin I mustered just enough strength to stumble to the door and knock I started leaning against the doorframe for support. After a moment, the door swung open revealing Jefferson his face twisted into one of concern as he grabbed my waist and walked me over to the old, worn down couch sitting down beside me, “I thought you said you were supposed to be on bedrest.” I nodded, “yeah I’m supposed to be but I got a lovely visit from a woman named Regina.” I made a face when I said lovely causing him to chuckle for a moment but quickly turning serious, “why what did she say?” I shook my head, “nothing to worry about.” he wrinkled his eyebrows in confusion, “what do you mean?” I sighed, “she just said that she had been wanting to meet me.”  he let out a sigh of relief, “I thought she threatened you or something.” I bit my lip feeling bad that I had just lied to him but glad he accepted the lie, “well since I’m here, I guess I can teach Grace.” he raised his eyebrows, “are you sure?” I nodded, “yeah I can teach her sitting down.” he sighed, “alright I’ll go get her.” he stood up rushing to Grace’s room and I heard him mutter, “she’s gonna be the death of me.” causing me to let a small smile creep onto my face. Soon a little bundle of joy rushed over sitting in front of me, “what are we gonna learn today.” I chuckled, “boy you really are excited about learning, aren't you.” I gave a brief rundown of what I had prepared for her to learn and she didn’t pout or argue once which really surprised me since most children would. After an exhausting three hours of teaching her some simple math and English I decided that I should probably head back so I hugged Jefferson and Grace and thought about being back in the infirmary.