Chapter 58: Still Together

Albus POV:

Hesitantly, I sat on his moth-eaten, stained, rough bed, thinking over my choice of words. Before I could say any, however, he went first.

'You have reason I assume?'

To be honest, I wasn't even sure how to feel about this whole thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm still extremely furious with him about what happened but I'm also still deeply in love with him and think it noble that he'd even give himself in just to save me. I never thought he'd do that, surely that shows he isn't really as bad as people thinks he is. He's killed as many as the ministry, why should he be the only one locked up like this? I tried to focus on what I was actually here for instead of pondering over this though.

'Yes, yes I do,' I nodded, 'I suppose you've heard what's been happening?'

Gellert twisted his arm uncomfortably in its chain as it had been done so tight it caused a red ring to form around his wrist, 'That kid Voldemort has caused a vizarding var? That's the last I heard of it,'

I fumbled with my hands, 'Yes...well it's over now,'

'Vhat? Did you have to duel him as vell?' Gellert started laughing as if he were a mad man, 'Just like that? My, my Albus two duels in the matter of decades? Vhat power you must vield!'

'Gellert, this is not something to joke about I'm being serious,' I spoke to him sternly.

He managed to calm himself, 'Sorry, that's the most amusement I've had in years...so vhat happened?'

I sighed, 'Voldemort went to kill another family, he had reason to believe the couples son was a threat to him. But on that night he killed the boy's parents, his mother's sacrifice cast an enchantment of protection onto him so he could not be touched by Voldemort. Since he did not understand this, he tried to kill the infant but was unsuccessful in doing so...as a result, I'm sure he ripped a piece of his soul in some dark magic bond and transferred it to Harry, the baby. Harry is his part of him and I don't think I have the heart to tell anyone this information.'

Gellert rubbed his tired face with his hand, 'That's a lot of information to process...may I ask Vhy you chose me to keep this a secret?'

'I trust you,' I admitted, 'I know you wouldn't tell anyone, despite what others might thing and after all you've done. I know you wouldn't hurt me again,'

Gellert smiled and bowed his head, 'You're right...if I could I vould have let you fall off that tower.' He took a deep breath, 'Vell, I think you're doing the right thing by not telling anyone about it. That information in the vong hands vould be fatal,'

'I know,' I agreed, 'But what should I do? I'm having him raised by muggles-' Gellert was about to saying something when I said before he could, 'they're relatives and do not spit at it,' he closed his mouth again to listen, 'I'm not sure the extent of it...I've never heard of anything like this before. I'm not sure whether he will be another Voldemort or just a boy with certain elements of it,'

Gellert let a few seconds pass before responding to make sure I'd finished ranting, 'I suppose you von't know till he grows up...I vouldn't assume the vorst though my dear, I doubt he'll end up like Voldemort. Besides, he vas a boy before so he vill still stay his original personality surely,'

I extracted his words carefully, 'I was right to come here,' I gave him a small smile, 'You always were good at calming me with your brilliant, logical reasoning,'

Gellert returned the smile, extended out at hand to pat mine that rested on my knee, 'I haven't forgotten,'

Feeling comfortable enough, I got up to sit beside him on the floor but stayed at a friendly distance, 'So, how's it been here?'

Gellert huffed, 'Splendid! I get a banquet and a fresh set of sheets every day!' He replied sarcastically.

I swatted him as he chuckled, 'But...really Gellert, how are you feeling?'

His smiled faded and he moved his chained wrist again, 'I feel like I've vasted my life...that cause vas everything to me. But I know I have vonged and that this is the most beneficial thing for me now, that doesn't mean it's easy though. Apart from the occasional shout from the others of the news in the papers, and inmate drama I might become aware of, I am completely and utterly bored to insanity,' his sad eyes glanced up to meet mine, 'An occasional visit vould be nice you know...I could do vith the company,'

I tensed up, 'I'm not sure I-'

'Not every day!' Gellert tried to reason desperately, 'Yearly? Every three years? Albus I need something to keep me going in this cell or I'll rot.' His eyes pleaded but eventually he gave up, 'I don't know Vhy I thought it just to ask, you don't owe me anything at all yet I owe you your whole life,'

There was something unfamiliar about the way he was acting. It was still him, his charm, his beautiful presence and that witty look about him but he was slightly different in character. More remorseful, like he was truly sorry and regretted his past. I decided to obey his wishes, he did save my life after all, 'I'll come every year,'

As soon as I agreed to it Gellert's eyes twinkled with tears that quickly fell. He was sobbing so hard he could hardly breath, I couldn't help but envelop him in an embrace so he could cry into my shoulder as he did in 1945. There must be a reason for it, for wanting to achieve something in the first place. What that reason was I might never know but what I do know is that his mindset is not up to a psychopathic condition. If he really is that way then how come he truly feels remorse such as this? He has been badly hurt by someone and I wish I knew who.

Maybe I'm just an idiot who follows everything he tells me, maybe I'm just so in love I can't spend a second without knowing I will see him again. Or maybe I'm just someone who sees the good in people who bad things have happened to, Gellert, Amycus and Tom. Perhaps I wasn't wrong about all of them, perhaps I shouldn't feel aggrieved for having such an open heart and mind. Perhaps it's a gift I care so deeply about those who need caring for.

I kissed Gellert's fraying white hair, making him sit up a little as I brushed away his tears, 'I saw you kept the pictures of us in your room,'

He grinned, chuckling to himself, 'You just got here and you've already searched through my things?'

I shrugged guiltily, 'I was intrigued,'

He took my hand, 'I miss them...I miss you,'

I lifted our intertwined hands to kiss his, 'I miss you too Gellert...are you not aloud anything in here?

Gellert looked around his bare room, 'I've never gotten any gifts, they have to be checked in the black box out the front there anyway,'

Biting my lip, I staggered to my feet and left. My heart lurched with fear that I may not be able to get back in but I hoped it would be alright as I wondered back down to the room I had previously been in. I took the photos of us and struggled to keep them in my arms as I stumbled back towards the door. I put the photos into the black box along with my wand again so the door clicked. I took them out and carried my items back in with me.

I beamed at Gellert, 'where would you like them?'

He gleamed back and directed to me the position he would like each photo to be in until he got to the one of us on the hill together, my personal favourite and clearly his too as his eyes lit up, 'I vant that one beside me, dear,'

I sat down next to him again, handing him the photo of our younger selves as we looked at it together. So young, so happy, so free. The complete opposite of what we were now, but we were together. Right now, that we all we could ask for.

I'm so sorry I posted this two days late, I had no idea it had been five days I thought it had been three! Wow the days are going fast right now, that's rlly weird. Hope you enjoyed it and I promise to get this one up on Tuesday. Love y'all