Chapter 22: We Were Closer than Brothers

Albus POV:

'And the last one?...the most important one?' I chuckled, watching Mclaggen think for way too long before hitting him with a spell that made him fly backwards onto the safety couch, 'Not learning from the first two.' The whole class erupted with laughter as the door burst open, ministry officials filing in without a care, arguing with Mcgonagall. My students laughs faded to serious expressions of confusion.
'Out Of here.' Their leader awkwardly said, gesturing towards my students, as if he owned them. Travers. They looked to me for instructions.
'Go with professor Mcgonagall please.' I asked, Mcgonagall had been protesting their presence since they stepped in the room but they brushed it off since apparently they have permission to go 'wherever they please' As my students left, Mclaggen went intimidatingly close to Travers, 'he's the best teacher we've got-'
'Thanks Mclaggen.' I warned, not wanting the ministry to be angered with him.
'Get out.' Travers spat. Mcgonagall escorted him out leaving me alone with the people I possibly hate the most.
'Newt Scamander is in Paris.' Travers announced as I leaned against my desk.
'Really?' I laughed to myself, I wasn't sure after meeting up with Newt whether he would actually agree to do what I'd asked since he was rather hesitant. It was good to know he had.
'Cut the pretence, I knows he's there under your orders.' He raised his eyes.
'Mmm if you'd ever had the pleasure to teach him you'd know Newt isn't a great follower of orders.' I joked, trying to lighten the mood. Travers said nothing and chucked me a book which I caught without hesitation.
'You've read the predictions of Tycho Dodonus?'
'Mmm, many years ago...' I reflected, turning it over and examining the cover.
'A sin cruelly banished, despair of the daughter, return-'
'Yes I know it.' I interrupted, putting the book down and sitting myself on the desk.
Ignoring my interruption, he informed 'There's a rumour this prediction refers to the obscurial...they say that Grindelwald wants-'
'As a high born henchman I've heard the rumour.' I interrupted again, my heart stung at his name.
'And yet Scamander appears wherever the obscurial goes.' Travers shrugged, 'to protect him.....meanwhile you've worked up quite the little network of...international contacts.'
'However long,' I shook my head and laughed in disbelief, 'you keep me and my friends under surveillance you're not going to discover plots against you, Travers, because we want the same thing, the defeat of Grindelwald...' I trailed off, doubting what I had just said, 'But I warn you...your policies of suppression and violence are pushing supporters into his arms-'
'I'm not here for your warnings.' Travers rolled his eyes again, interrupting me, 'Now, it pains me to say it because well, I don't like you' we laughed at his bluntness, 'But,' he started walking towards me, 'you are the only wizard who is his equal...I need you to fight him.'
My mind raced as I knew I couldn't give them an explanation to what my answer was going to be, it was both logical and selfish but I couldn't agree, 'I cant.' I shook my head and looked down.
He drew his wand, 'Because of this?' His words spoke harshly as I watched an image of me and Grindelwald, the year 1899, we were looking at each other with deep affection. It faded into just Grindelwald when he was young, it was like they were trying to purposely weaken me. It was working. 'You And Grindelwald were as close as brothers.' He revealed.
Anger burned inside me, what did he know, before I could stop myself I glared at him, 'Oh, we were closer than brothers.' I said nodding, possibly exposing myself but in this moment I didn't care, how dare they show me that, how dare they show everyone. Young Grindelwald slowly morphed into how he was now, how id seen him in the papers. My heart ached the longer I stared into his beautiful mismatched eyes.
'Will. You. Fight. Him?' Travers said angrily.
'I can't.' I whispered, pained.
'Well, then you have chosen your side.' He said through gritted teeth. Flicking his wand, an enchantment latched around my wrist tightly, I lifted them up, rubbing them to make sure it wasn't cutting off my circulation. 'From now on I shall know every spell you cast, I'm doubling the watch on you! And you will no longer teach Defense Againts The Dark Arts.' I turned around and leaned on my desk, my head hurt with all the things I had to process. The one thing that lets me escape and now I can't do it?
Travers left and ordered Theseus to follow him, he was a good student, I liked him very much when I was teaching him. I thought he liked me but ever since he joined the ministry...he's changed.
'Theseus!' I called, he ignored me, walking away, 'Theseus, if Grindelwald calls a rally.' He turned around to face me, 'Don't try and break it up, don't let Travers send you in there, if you ever trusted me...' Travers called Theseus and he walked away, leaving me alone in my empty classroom, where I would have to break the news to the children. I went into my office and locked the door, collapsing onto my chair, I leant my head on my desk, my arms crossed around it. I started to cry, if I couldn't teach, I had nothing else to do, nothing to distract me from my thoughts, nothing to block them out. My sniffles quickly turned into sobs as my heart pierced as I remembered the image Travers showed me. Why couldn't we stay like that forever, why did everything go wrong. There was a bang on the door.
'Professor Dumbledore?' I heard a few shouts, 'Professor? Sir?' I recognised them to be Mclaggen and Carrow. Wiping my eyes, I opened the door to see them looking at me concerned.
'Sir...are you alright?' Carrow asked.
'What did they say?' Mclaggen questioned.
I didn't reply at first and just walked back over to sit in my chair, they followed me in, shutting the door behind them before sitting in the chairs opposite me.
'They said that I am not to teach you anymore.' I nodded, smiling pasts my sorrow.
'They can't do that!' Mclaggen protested.
'That's so unfair! We don't learn anything from substations!' Carrow agreed.
'No other teachers make lessons fun.' Mclaggen crosses his arms and leaned back in his chair.
'You're the only one who understands me, how will I not get expelled when everyone expects me to do something wrong!' Carrow looked down, disappointed.
'I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do. I love to teach...but I will still stay in the castle, they can't fire me permanently or ban me from the building.' I fake smiled again, 'anything you need help with, just come to me, do you know where the staff dormitory's are?'
They nodded
'It will be fine, maybe you'll find a better teacher! And I will have more time to focus on other things like...hobbies I've always wanted to try!' I tried to be optimistic.
'I thought you had a girlfriend, that's what everyone has been saying for weeks.' Carrow furrowed his brows in confusion. Mclaggen gave me a knowing look which I returned.
'Is that what the rumours were?' I asked, feeling slightly uncomfortable.
'Yeh...been going round the whole school, nobody wanted to ask you about so there's several different rumours. Some thought you were with Mcgonagall, that got denied by her so the popular one was you were seeing someone in between lesson...there was also a rumour that you and her were in the classroom and you-' Mclaggen put his hand over Carrows mouth to stop him.
'Well it's not true.' Mclaggen told him, letting go.
'It isn't?' Carrow looked at me and I shook my head.
'No I've never had a girlfriend.'
'Wow...did no one ask you?' I didn't expect him to know I didn't like girls but it seemed to be annoying Mclaggen more than it was me.
'They did, I just said no.'
'I see.' Carrow nodded, 'Do you like anyone now?'
'I don't think it's appropriate for me to talk about this with my student.' I chuckled.
'Well...actually sir, we aren't your students anymore sooo.' Mclaggen pointed out.
I sighed, 'you're right, I guess I don't like anyone at the moment.' I lied.
'You're lying.' Carrow smirked.
'How do you know?' Mclaggen asked.
'Because, he blushed. He wouldn't if he was being genuine. Who is she?' Carrow asked eagerly.
'There's no one!' I exclaimed, having a small debate whether to tell him or not.
'I'm not leaving till you tell us.' He crossed his arms.
I was too emotionally exhausted to make any more excuses, Mclaggen already knew.
'You can't tell anyone.' I warned.
'Sir...are you sure?' Mclaggens eyes widened, surprised I was going to tell Carrow.
'I'd never betray you Professor.' He sat up straight, anticipating an answer
I reached into my top draw and pulled out the photo of me and Gellert. Looking at it, I felt my heart breaking all over again. I handed it to Carrow who stared at it for a few seconds. The seconds felt like years as I waited for his reaction.
'Oh WAIT.' Carrows eyes widened in surprise, 'that's a man...is that you?' He pointed. I nodded slowly.
'I won't tell anyone!' He smiled, handing me back the photo, I put it safely back in the drawer, 'who is it?'
'He won't tell me.' Mclaggen said.
'You can't know.' I said sternly, 'you've seen enough, you should get back to class.'
'Alright Fine.' Carrow got up to leave.
'I hope you get your job back soon Professor.' Mclaggen said. As soon as they left I exhaled, this was going to be challenging. My thoughts raging, blasting into my ears. I'm sorry Ariana.

I took the first part from Fantastic Beasts the Crimes of Grindelwald and wrote it word for word. The script belongs to Jk