Chapter 8: Elphias Doge

Albus POV:

I was waiting for Elphias to arrive, it had only been a month but I missed him dearly. When I heard the knock at the door I was the first there, behind it stood a black haired tanned boy. Elphias. He held a small bag of luggage in his arms, I could seen how much fun he'd had, a twinkle in his dark brown eyes.
'Albus!'
'Elphias!'
He dropped his things as we embraced, I knew he had so much to tell me, as I had to tell him. As we went to my room he nodded in acknowledgment at Ariana and Aberforth.
'Tell me everything!' I said, interested to hear what I had missed.
'It was amazing Albus, the sights, the different magic uses I saw was truly inspirational.' He smiled, I tried to not be jealous but all I could think about was how I'd missed out on it all. After telling me all the envious things he'd done, he told me, 'oh Albus how I wished you could have been there with me, by my side.'
'Me too...but I actually Godric's Hollow isn't too bad.' I started.
'Really? Because after you heard the new you had to go back....you were distraught Albus, I'd never seen you so upset. What have you been up to here anyway? What changed your mind?' He asked, confused.
'I uhhh met someone.' I blushed
'I knew you seemed different!' He exclaimed, 'so who is?'
'His names Gellert, Bathildas nephew.' I anxiously told him.
'Ahhh, I always knew you weren't into women.' He chuckled, 'do I get to meet him?'
'Y-yes, I thought we could go to the pub this afternoon.'
'Sure! I could do with a butter beer.'
I laughed with him but really I was scared of how well him and Gellert would get along.

We went outside Bathildas house, waiting for Gellert. He finally walked out of the front door but I noticed he'd made an effort to look extra nice today, i internally laughed.
'Elphie, this is Gellert, Gellert this is Elphias.'
'Pleasure to meet you mr Grindelwald.' Elphias grinned, holding out his hand.
'You too Mr Doge, I've heard a lot of good things about you from Albus.' He responded, shaking Elphies hand. I sighed in relief, so far so good. We got to the pub and sat down at a booth, i ordered my usual of white wine and Elphie ordered a butter beer.
'Butter beer for you then youngster.' The bar tender joked
Gellert clearly agitated replied, 'No I'd like a red vine.'
'No ID no wine.' The bar tender shrugged. Gellert grumbled, 'Vhatever, Yes I'd like a butter beer.'
The bar tender walked away to get our drinks.
'Wait so...how old are you?' Elphie asked Gellert.
'I'm 16.' He replied, clearly embarrassed. Gellert was quiet the rest of the time, only answering Elphias' questions with as little words as possible.
'You're accent...where are you from?'
'Germany.'
'Why is your eye a different colour?'
'I vas born vith it.'
'Are you going back to school in September?'
'No I vas expelled.'
'Why?'
'None of your business.'
'What do you want to do in the future?'
'Travel vith Albus.'
'I mean as a job.'
'That vould be my job.'
'How so?'
'Searching for...artifacts.'
It went on like so until Elphie said to me, 'we should be getting back Albus, I need to set up my things in your room.'
'You're room?' Gellert looked at me dead in the eyes.
'Me and Albus are sleeping in the same room, since I'm staying at theirs.' Elphie replied cheerfully.
'Can't you stay vith Aberforth?'
'Well...Albus is my best friend, it only makes sense.' Elphie smiled, not getting it.
'The couch is alvays an option.' He muttered, luckily Elphias didn't hear.
'Elphias, could you go without me for a few minutes, I'll catch up.' I asked. Elphie nodded and left the pub.
'Gellert can you please stop.' I urged.
'It's not my fault your staying in the same room as him.'
'AS FRIENDS.'
'Yeh that's how ve started isn't it?'
I laughed, 'Gellert! Stop being jealous and trust me.' I took his hand.
'I trust you...it's him I don't trust.' He whispered, 'I can't help it Albus.'
'Are you really going to be this stubborn?' I asked, squeezing his hand.
'Yes.'
Sighing I said, 'fine, you can stay over too. But you have to promise to be nice, even to Aberforth.'
'That's impossible.'
'I believe it was you who said nothing is impossible,' i knew then I had won.
He rolled his eyes, 'fine, I'll be nice to Aberforth.'
Hand in hand, we ran to catch up with Elphie, Gellerts golden blonde hair dragging behind him.

Gellerts POV:

Eventually, we caught up to Elphias, still holding hands (I had to slow my pace just for Albus). We'd already reached the Dumbledore residence when an anticipating Aberforth whipped open the door as Elphias was going to turn the handle.
'Aberforth.' Elphias bowed his head, walking in, Albus following him. I was about to go in too before Aberforth tried to shut the door on me. I stopped. It was yanked back open by Albus and i followed them in without a word.

'How is Aberforth these days?' Elphias asked, he'd luckily set his 'bed' up on the floor of Albus' room, leaving Albus' bed to us.
'He's always been on edge after mother died, he full of hatred, towards me especially...he should, we all know it's my fault anyway...'
'Don't talk like that.' Elphias interrupted, 'nothing is your fault Albus, you gave up everything to be with them because they needed you, if Aberforth could see that.'
I didn't know what they were talking about.
'Elphie, I didn't exactly have a choice, Aberforth knows that and that's what makes him angry, he knows i wouldn't have chosen them.' He looked disappointed in himself.
'Aberforth is stubborn, he loves your sister dearly he wants to protect her, and loved your mother, he's still grieving.'
'Perhaps...it kind of reminds me of professor Mcerol crying over his pretend wife in our third year!'
'Oh my that was an odd thing to experience wasn't it?'
The two laughed and I couldn't of felt more left out, I had no idea what they were saying.
'ich weiß es nicht.' I sighed
'Gellert you know I can't speak German.' He ran his hands under my sleeves and up my arms.
'I said I don't know, as in I don't know vhat you're talking about.'
'Sorry! Hey Elphie, Gellert is an occlumens!' Albus grinned, linking his arm in mine, he looked proud.
'No way! Looks like you've really met your equal...have you duelled?'
'Not yet,' I responded.
'Who do you think will win? Me or Gellert?' Albus asked.
Almost immediately, Elphias replied, 'My bet is on you Albus, you can do it!' An urge to prove my self surged in my stomach.
'I wouldn't be so sure Elphie, Gellert is very powerful, I dare say more than me.' Albus said, i was glad he thought that way.'

'It was nice to see you again Elphie, I'm going to miss you.' Albus hugged Elphias goodbye as his stood in the porch with his luggage.
'You too, I can't wait till you start travelling as well, I'm certain you can achieve what you want.' He turned to me, 'I'm glad I got to meet you Gellert, look after Albus ok?'
I shook his hand, 'of course I Vill .'

I used bluecrownedbird on instagram's depiction of young Elphias for this chapter