16 • Incorrect Choice

Train. Train? That thing capable of transporting numerous people along a railroad track? Were we really talking about that kind of train? Why? Why would Akihito leave you such a message? Was it a warning? On the contrary, was he asking you to meet him at a certain station? It was impossible to understand what that piece of paper meant...

After waiting a few minutes alone in this dark night in the middle of the forest, you end up taking the way back. Staying out, thinking about that one word that could say so much was not the best thing to do. If you're going to have to rack your brains, you might as well do it in the warmth of your own home over a nice cup of tea.

Even if you had decided to walk rather than run – as you had done on the way there – you didn't take more than a few minutes to get out of the forest, going through the town and get to your house. Once you saw the building, you decided to slow down. Fearing of waking up Shinobu or Tomioka, you made as little noise as possible, keeping your presence to a minimum.

To think that you were at your home...

Once inside, you take off your shoes before going upstairs to your room. One, two, and many steps later, you finally reach your destination. Without much hesitation, you let your body fall back on your futon – which had been arranged before you left. You didn't know where it came from, but since you had been out you were strangely more tired than you had been all day, and yet you hadn't done much today – not even any training, let alone any real physical effort...

An unknown tiredness finally got the the last forces that slumbered in you, making you fall asleep very quickly.

• • •

The moon giving way to the sun, the first morning rays came to irradiate the room in which you were asleep, crossing without sparingly the curtain of flesh that covered your eyes. Your internal clock being programmed to wake you at this time, you finally opened your eyes.

A sigh at those tiresome light waves went through your lips as you stretched out, still lying on your futon. It was also at this moment that you noticed that you had fallen asleep with your outer clothes and not the kimono you used to sleep in.

Why was the day before so tiring for you to be so tired?

Leaving this new unanswered question, you walked out of the room to go to your bathroom. On this short walk you remembered that there were two individuals under your roof, the Insect and Water Pillars. So, you decided to get you ready quickly before going downstairs to prepare them a decent breakfast, not a burnt dish like yesterday... Indeed, cooking with your head in the clouds was bound to end in disaster. By the way, you should thank Shinobu again for saving the dinner.

Once ready, you go down to the kitchen as agreed. Downstairs, you noticed from afar that a paper was laid out on the table. Three steps were enough for you to reach the room, one second to take the letter in your hands, and an moment to read the contents of the letter. According to the handwriting it could only come from the Insect Pillar, after all you could hardly imagine that the Water Pillar could leave you a message...

The content of the letter was quite simple. Shinobu warned you that she had to return to Butterfly Estate sooner than expected. On top of that, she had added that Tomioka had left during the night, probably before her - which surprised you. Well, coming from him, leaving without saying anything shouldn't be so surprising. Next time you see him, you'll probably comment on that...

After doing your morning training you decided to go back to the location where you had been the night before. However, to your surprise, the place was nothing like it was the night before.

The candles that were scattered on the floor had disappeared, and no wax had been left behind. It was as if everything you had seen yesterday was just a dream. But it wasn't. The paper you were holding in your hand, where was writing the word 'Train' in red, proved it.