15 • Message

A/N : From this chapter, if you are an anime-only then I advise you not to continue reading until you have viewed season 2.

For the others... we're almost there, sorry.

After the Flame Pillar left, you invited the Water Pillar to your house. Not very talkative as he was, you didn't expect to have a big discussion with him so, while you were preparing the meal, you suggested him to sit in the living room or to spend time in the garden. But to your surprise, Tomioka asked you if he could use your dojo instead - which you didn't refuse him.

Now that he was gone, your mind had inevitably closed on what was bothering you since you met Oyakata-sama. Before you even thought of betraying anyone, you wondered how you were going to find Akihito. After all, since the time he taught you the Sand Breath, you had never seen him again. He had wished you the best before he disappeared without a word, without even telling you how to contact him.

Starting your research at the place of your last meeting might be a good idea, but it was hard to believe that you could find clues because your last meeting was several years ago.

So, how to proceed?

But before that.

Wasn't there a smell of burning in the room you were in?

You noticed with surprise that the dishes you had prepared no longer looked like anything but ashes. Conclusion, the dishes were good to throw away. You had to clean everything but before that, it was better if you air out the room that was filled with smoke. You walked towards the nearest windows to open them. Then, you took care of throwing the inedible dishes outside in an incinerator at the end of your garden.

Back in your kitchen you heard the sound of the front door opening and then noises of footsteps coming closer. As you knew who it could be, you simply continue what you had to do.

To your surprise, the person who had just entered was not Tomioka. This person was no other than someone you shouldn't have really been surprised to see since they had told you a few days earlier that they were coming.

Oh. Are you surprised to see me?

No... I mean... yes. I forgot you were coming, Shinobu.

The young woman smiles at you before entering the kitchen.

You hadn't noticed at first, but she had several letters - four, to be exact - in her hands. She put them next to you before explaining to you that she had found them outside your door before entering.

In the batch, two letters came from the same person: the Love Pillar, Kanroji Mitsuri. She used to tell her days and send you recipes on dishes she liked.

The third one came from Tanjiro. In his, he explained to you that he had finally managed to break the largest of the gourds, which made you happy to learn.

As for the fourth, when you read the name of the sender, you understood that it had not been sent by a crow but left in person in front of your door. And for you, the identity of this person could only be him.

As soon as you understood this, you put the letter away from the eyes of the Insect Pillar. As you might expect, she noticed your brief change of expression. However, she had no time to know more than the arrival of your guest inside allowed you to escape on this subject.

When Shinobu saw Tomioka come in, she turned to you smiling in a corner. No matter how you read her expression, you understood that she would titillate you about it.

Oh my. (Y/N), I didn't know you were so close to Tomioka to let him live with you.

Don't be silly, you replied, hitting her lightly with your elbow. He was around so I invited him.

Before she could add anything else, you rushed out to show the Water Pillar where the bathroom was.

On the way to the kitchen, you took those few minutes away from the eyes of the Insect Pillar to hide the mysterious letter you didn't want her to see.

When this was done, you went back to see her. She had removed her haori, put her sword in the corner and rolled up her sleeves.

With a knife in her hand she cut radishes while fish was cooking on the fire.

What are you going to do? you asked her.

It's a secret, she said, waving at you. But can you help me by seasoning the salmon?

You nodded at her request and did what she asked you.

A few minutes later, dinner was finally ready to be served.

• • •

The meal was much more lively than you could have imagined. Although you didn't know it, Shinobu had you prepare the Water Pillar's favourite dish, which made him more than happy. It was the first time you had ever seen him like that. He had first observed the dishes for a few moments without saying anything before finally tasting it. The expression he had made would remain in your memory for a long time.

Yet, even if good vibes surrounded the house, your mind was not totally focused on your guests but on the fourth letter you had received. In it you could read the following message:

When the Moon shines with all its light, the forbidden passage will light up towards the castle of the fallen king.

For someone not living at Ryūsei it was difficult to understand what place this message indicated, but you understood it well.

Tonight, in the small cabin to the north of the city, just after the wisteria field, Akihito would be waiting for you.

Receiving a message from him after all these years, following the day you were asked to find him was more than disturbing but you had decided not to pay too much attention to it.

It was probably just a coincidence.

After preparing rooms for the Insect Pillar and Water Pillar, you had wished them a good night before going up to your room. Once inside you quickly exit through the window to reach the branch a few meters away. You then jumped from the tree to the ground and then headed for the exit of your home.

However, once you passed through the gate, you heard footsteps behind you. You immediately turned around to see who it was.

Tomioka? What are you doing here?

Where are you going? he asked without answering your question.

You remained silent to his question, looking for an excuse.

I like to go for night walks in my garden to fall asleep.

With your Nichirin Blade?

You never know who might get in here... you replied immediately. Well, I don't want to bother you any more. You should go back to bed, Tomioka.

The young man took a few seconds to think before finally returning inside. He was not convinced why you needed your sword since your house was surrounded by wisteria but he decided not to say anything. He thought you should have a good reason to keep a weapon on you even if you were safe...

Once you were sure he had gone inside, you finally left home to meet Akihito.

• • •

Both excited and troubled to see the one you hadn't seen in so long, you had started running at full speed. Your footsteps were much louder than usual, which didn't make you discreet. However, since no demons had been seen in the area, you didn't worry too much. And then, even if you had to meet one, you were ready to defend yourself.

Once you arrive at the meeting place, you saw two candles on the ground. In the middle there was a paper that was held by a stone - probably so that it wouldn't fly away. You walked in that direction to examine the letter. On it, there was only one word written with blood.

Train.