14 • Doubts

On that day, the attack that had been carried out concealed many things that no one had been able to find answers to. The only thing everyone was sure of was that what had happened was not good.

Did these evil beings who had never worked in a group before change their way of doing things? If this were the case, the worst could be expected.

However, since the night of these strange events, no demon had been seen in the vicinity of Ryusei.

As far as you were concerned, Oyakata-sama had you personally summoned to discuss with you how the next step should be taken.

Without you knowing it, he had asked the other Pillars to keep an eye on your area. If he hadn't told you, it wasn't because he didn't trust you - far from it.

A few days before the events on Mount Nagatumo, reports from all over Japan had reported strange things. According to these Demon Slayers, the demons they had fought against seemed strange to them. These demons did not have the ability to use blood techniques, but their strengths were equal to - if not superior to - demons of this type.

Moreover, these demons all wore a cloth that covered their heads.

The same cloth as the demons that the Love Pillar and Mist Pillar had killed.

For the time being, it was only hypotheses, but Oyakata-sama thought that since these "strange demons" had appeared in the areas you had previously visited, then they would eventually appear where you were living now. And once again, he was not mistaken.

Oyakata-sama firmly believed that these strange demons had nothing to do with Muzan. He thought it was the act of a third party. So, the reason he had hidden everything from you was related to that. By not telling you about it, he hoped that since you didn't know, it wouldn't arouse the suspicion of the person he was tracking.

Do you really think it could be..?

The man at the head of the Slayers Demon Corps nodded positively.

... Why would he do that? you mumbled.

(Y/N), I have a mission I'd like you to take care of personally.

Oyakata-sama... I really am...

It is not your fault, my child, he comforted you. Nothing is your fault. If there's a person to blame then it's--

... Muzan Kibutsuji.

Yes. So, (Y/N), do you accept the mission of finding the one who trained you?

Even if you expected to hear these words, no preparation could have helped you to respond immediately with determination.

Even if you knew what it cost to follow in Akihito's footsteps, you couldn't have dared to ask Oyakata-sama to tell you what he planned to do once you brought him to him.

Of course, Oyakata-sama.

Would you betray Akihito by selling him to the Slayers Demon Corps? Or would you betray Oyakata-sama by not carrying out your mission properly?

The choice of these two options was up to you.

• • •

When the discussion with Oyakata-sama was over, you had gone straight home to Ryusei.

On the way, your mind was totally taken up with your concerns and doubts about the mission you had been given. As a Demon Slayer, as a Pillars, you couldn't bring yourself to betray the trust that everyone else had for you. But, you were having trouble making the decision to betray the man to whom you owed a lot...

All these contradictory thoughts had begun to gnaw at you from within, playing with your stomach, heart and head.

If only you could confide what you felt to someone, then maybe that weight that was just growing would be lighter for you... but you had to know who to talk to about it, having the strength and sufficient will to address this subject - things you didn't have at this very moment.

Still lost in thought, you crossed the main street of the city of Ryusei.

As you passed it, several voices had called you but they couldn't reach you. The majority of them were the voices of the merchants who once again offered you discounts for some or simply their products for free as a gift. And, in the middle of those cries there was a voice, a person who stood out with the others.

Whether it was his clothes or his profession, it was easy to know that he was not a merchant or even a local resident.

After calling your last name several times, this person gave up. And that's exactly why you finally noticed it.

Tomioka Giyu, the Water Pillar.

Calling his name only once, he turned to you. You then asked him what he was doing here, and he explained that he had just completed a mission in the area. There was nothing surprising about that, what surprised you was the rest.

According to his answer, he went to your home but he had no answer.

This simple act could have been insignificant to any other person you knew, but not to him. The last time he came to Ryusei - the night of the fire and the attack of the strange demons - he didn't even knock on your door, preferring to pay and rest in a hotel. So, for someone like Tomioka who wasn't looking "to make friends" with the other Pillars, that simple act touched you.

You're planning on leaving tomorrow, aren't you? You can spend the night at my place if you want.

Thank you, he simply replied.

Let's go then.

Without you noticing it right away, a slight smile had appeared on your face. Also, your head that was full of doubts seemed much lighter. At that moment, you had put your problems aside, which greatly calmed you down.

When you arrived at the front gate of your house, you noticed that it was not closed. You weren't one hundred percent sure you had closed it, but you preferred to take the least risky decision and stay on your toes.

When you entered, you were surprised to meet someone you knew well.

Blonde hair with red tips, golden eyes. A tricolor jacket with flame shapes at the end, above a Demon Slayer uniform.

Rengoku Kyujuro, the Flames Pillar.

Ah. (Y/N) ! Welcome back!

Rengoku?! you said surprised. W-What are you doing here?

I was in the area so I wanted to visit you, he smiled. Ah. Hi there, Tomioka!

The Water Pillar nodded politely.

Are you going straight back? you asked. I can make some tea--

I appreciate your offer, but I have to go on my next assignment right now. Seeing that you're fine is enough for me.

But...

Rengoku walked in your direction before putting his hand on your shoulder, still smiling.

When your eyes met his, you had the impression to read that he was hesitating to tell you something.

However, before you could ask him the question, he ruffled your hair.

I'm going, (Y/N), Tomioka.

Wait--!

Even if you had asked him to wait, he didn't turn around.

You then shouted this sentence before he went through the gate.

Take care of yourself!

These words were the last you said to him. And that smile he had given you by briefly turning around before leaving was the last you saw of him.

Indeed.

Today was the last time you saw Rengoku Kyujuro, the Flame Pillar.