13 • A strange night

A sea of fire. That was what the small town of Ryusei would become in a few minutes.

The fire that had started from the wisteria field surrounding it had spread, dragging the first house into the flames - one outside, as close as possible to the flowers. If things continued like this, at dawn, Ryūsei would become a distant memory. It was therefore necessary to act, and quickly.

However, things were not going to be that simple since the first demons had finally got closer to the city. By mutual agreement, you and the Water Pillar ran to them to take care of it.

In all directions around Ryūsei, the Pillars were working hard to eliminate the demons that were trying to reach the city. Although they were not difficult to beat, their numbers were becoming a problem. Every time one fell, another replaced him. No matter how everyone saw the situation, there was something wrong here.

This attack was far too coordinated.

As things stand at the moment, there were already enough problems to think about this. Eliminate demons, put out the fire. It was going to take more manpower to end this situation

In the ambient air, glycine petals danced in the black sky, tinged with red by the flames. In other circumstances this show could have been quite nice, but unfortunately it wasn't the case here.

From the ease with which you had just defeated these demons, their strength didn't even reach those of the Lower Moons

From the ease with which you had just defeated these demons, their strength didn't even reach those of the Lower Moons. This band of demons surely counted on their numbers to win...

However, teamwork between demons was somewhat strange. Physically they were all different and only a few of them used blood techniques. Their profile had nothing to do with the demons of Mount Nagatumo led by Rui.

What could they have been?

Tomioka!

The Water Pillar will take care of eliminating a new demon before turning to you.

Can I leave you here? There are other places that need to be protected.

It's useless, he replied.

What do you mean?

As an answer he pointed south.

There was nothing to observe over there. You didn't feel the presence of a demon in that direction and the fire had been extinguished... which was strange.

If the fire had started in all directions, it meant that demons would have to be there in every corner, but it wasn't the case here.

Oyakata-sama had sensed that an attack would take place around here so he sent messages to the Pillars closest to staying around when they could, he explained.

But why here?

Tomioka didn't have time to answer your question. A presence much more imposing than the ones you had observed was approaching your position at full speed. So you had to focus on this new enemy for now.