10 • Believe in your friends

The emergency meeting organized by Oyakata-sama had just ended. Once the man at the head of the demon slayers stood up, the others did the same. The surrounding atmosphere was all but light and nobody- or almost -seemed to be trying to fix it. The events that had taken place a few hours earlier were not going to be forgotten so quickly. However, despite this, there was someone looking for a way to fix things between the group.

This person was none other than the Love Pillar, Kanroji Mitsuri.

Would you like to have dinner together? she proposed before everyone left the room. You're not going home right now, are you?

It will be without me, Sanemi replied before heading towards the exit.

So do I, you added.

Then you headed for the exit. Unfortunately, before you came through the door, someone grabbed your arm. This person was none other than Shinobu.

A fine smile on her face, she pulled you slightly towards her.

Where are you going? It's time to celebrate your promotion, [Y/N]-chan.

You don't have to do that. And then--

Rengoku intervened in the discussion, cutting you off in the process.

Do you wonder why the decision was unanimous?

Your voice became lower. Really, you didn't understand their decision at all. You never told them anything about how you learned your breath, even worse, until then you lied about how you learned it by yourself.

The only person who knew about it was Oyakata-sama and since he had strangely no problem with that, you decided to invent this lie. A lie that had always gnawed at you and that also prevented you from really making friends with your comrades. 

If you were a young recruit, of course we wouldn't trusted you that easily.

But you, we've known you for quite some time, Shinobu added. How many battles have you fought with each of us?

— When people fought with each other that flamboyantly there is nothing to add. However, I'm not trusting that demon.

Your gaze swept across the room, stopping for a few seconds on each of the eight pillars present. You could see just by looking at them that the trust they had in you had not wavered.

Deep down, you were suffering from not being totally honest, weren't you?

Kanroji took one of your hands between hers.

I'm sorry... if only I had stayed by your side then--...

No.

You interrupted her.

You have nothing to blame yourself for.... I was stupid and--... Thank you.

You looked up at the Love Pillar and then at the others.

Thank you... I don't think I deserve the feelings you have for me, but thank you.

• • •

A few hours later, you found yourself sitting around a table with the other Pillars. You didn't remember exactly how things turned out that way, but you finally gave up thinking about it. And it was also surely the case for Sanemi who -despite himself- was also here.

The place where you were was a simple traditional restaurant. By the time you waited for your orders, you had taken that time to get some air.

When you went outside you were surprised to know that you were not the only one who had this idea.

Tomioka-san?

The young man was leaning against the building, his arms crossed against his chest. His eyes were lowered to the ground.

When he heard you called his name, he looked up at you, without saying anything.

Why are you outside, Tomioka-san?

I could ask you the same question.

That's right...

Then, silence.

Neither of you say a word. You were just standing there, looking at the ground.

Until then, you had never been close to the Water Pillar. Several times you had found yourself fighting next to each other, but nothing else. You didn't know much about him, except his physical abilities and the fact that he didn't seem to want to connect with the other Pillars - which you didn't understand why.

Even if some of them didn't have an easy personality, they were all good people... so why did he seemed to avoid them? It was a question you had always asked yourself without finding an answer.

You should have become a Pillar earlier.

...

Why should we discuss this subject now?

... Akihito also wanted me to become a Pillar.

Akihito?

With a simple look you gave him, he understood that you were talking about the demon who taught you the breath you were practicing.

At first, you didn't plan to talk about it, but the words came out naturally.

At one time, he too was a demon slayer... however he--...

Did he encountered Muzan?

This voice did not belong to Tomioka but to another person. It was Shinobu's.

You didn't notice it before she spoke, but most of the other Pillars were standing at the door. Those missing were the Wind Pillar, the Mist Pillar and the Rock Pillar. Nevertheless, since they were not far away, they must have heard your conversation.

Yes... but it's a little more complicated than that...

Talking about this subject had aroused a certain anger that you had been keeping deep inside you ever since.

You don't have to tell us everything now, Kanroji said with a smile.

But you're going to have to tell us where he is, Sanemi added, a little further on. He's a demon, and--

He would never hurt anyone!

Iguro's snake made a noise that made you jump. Then the Snake Pillar came forward in front of you.

Are you giving us the same speech as the other one and his sister?

... He--... He wore the same outfit as us until the day Muzan ruined his life... now that he has regained his senses, he would never do such a thing.

The look you had was nothing more than determination. After spending so much time with him, you knew you could trust him on this. He would never betray you. He would never abandon the promise he made.

Right now he is an enemy of demons, why can't we make him an ally?

Your proposal shocked the others more than anything else. It was so surprising that they didn't know if they should get angry or just not take you seriously.

It was a joke, you said, laughing to lighten the mood.

No. It wasn't, but it was better not to create a conflict with your classmates. More than ever, the demon slayers had to be unified and this subject was only going to divide you.

Our orders are ready, we should go eat.