9 • Find the Truth

Screams. Over and over again. The villagers shouted hard words at you, reproaches, insults. As they spoke their words turned into a venom that paralyzed you.

You couldn't move your limbs nor open your mouth. You were motionless in front of these people you esteemed a few days ago...

What did you do to deserve this? Nothing. You didn't do anything. You weren't the one at fault. The culprit was your "friend" who had to lie for you didn't know what the reasons were.

No. The problem came from even further away.

If that demon had never attacked you, then everyone would still be alive.

If that demon had never attacked you, then you would never be in this situation.

If that demon had never attacked you then--.

Let's go!

Kanroji's voice took you out of your thoughts.

Until her words reached you, it was as if you were diving. An apnea that had become more and more painful. A pain that pressed against your lungs that screamed for help.

A call of help for you to start breathing again.

... Let me explain what happened!

Shut up! a villager -you knew well- shouted. Your family has never been welcome here for years. Get out of here, you murderer's daughter! Murderer!

But--!

This time it was not insults you had received but a rock. You received it right between your eyebrows. Still no believing of what was happening, you touched the wound with your fingers and found that a red liquid was leaking from it. Blood.

When Kanroji saw this, she grabbed you firmly by the hand. She pulled you away from the rabid villagers. Too shocked to think you ran away with her.

When you had managed to lose them, you stopped to catch your breath. The woman with the two-tone hair was still holding your hand, something that seemed a little comforting for you.

... Why were they so angry? you asked with a small voice.

I don't know... when I came to tell them that you were fine they were already like that...

I see...

You had lost friends you loved. You had just been thrown out of your own house without us giving you time to explain.

No matter how you thought about this situation, you didn't know how to handle it. You were lost.

Your name is (Y/N), right? I can help you if you--

Help me? Why should I trust a stranger?

You let go of Kanroji's hand.

—  If even a friend becomes a traitor then I don't need anyone's help!

Wait, I--

Leave me alone!

Sadness had given way to anger. This veil that had formed on your eyes prevented you from thinking clearly. Right now you just wanted to be alone so you started running to get away from her.

Come back! It's dark and--!

The sword still in but you ran as fast as your legs allowed. You didn't pay attention to the words she was shouting at you. All you cared about was finding a place where you could calm down. And it was precisely because you were not paying attention to anything around you that you had not felt a third presence hiding in the shadow of the forest.