Chapter 34: Agreement

Start from the beginning

My eyebrows cocked at him.

"I might be the last gay in this country," Neil said. "Or probably even the world. We don't know what's happening out there. So many possibilities."

"But there's me," I reasoned. "I'm gay."

"And you're lesbian." Neil rolled his eyes. "Excuse me. But eew!"

I folded my arms. Neil was always taking his sweet time trying to prove his point.

"Thing is," he continued. "What's the use of being gay in a world where I can't be gay with somebody else?" His shoulders shrugged at me, while he attempted to brush his hair up. He suddenly couldn't make up his mind about it. "So I guess for my sake. . . For my sake, I will join your little expedition. No matter how stupid. For my sake. You get it right, Leighton? For me? Not for you. Not even for Audra."

"I guess I'll join you too."

Both Neil and I turned to Hanz, who had just spoken by then.

The big guy, shouldering his bag, then grinned to us. "What?" Hanz said. "You think I'm not coming? Think again, guys."

"But Hanz. . ." I then turned to Neil. "You don't need to do this," I said.

Neil rolled his eyes once more. "I said, it's not for you, Leighton. Get over it."

"So where should we begin?" Hanz chimed in.

Another set of footsteps came behind me. I knew it was Audra, but for once, I didn't turn to her. Nodding, I said, "Let's get out of here first. And then we'll plan everything."

Our group decided that it would be wiser to hide from one place to another, though not necessarily in the city where people could recognize us. Blackwell had said that we would not be wanted criminals for the time being, which we didn't know if was true or false. The man was obviously playing with us. He was a different kind of predator altogether.

But we did need to find a place soon, preferably somewhere we could access the internet, and we happened to find one just a few hours after walking.

There was a farmhouse, a small one, and we didn't know if its occupants were out to kill us or not. But other than that, Hanz was more than willing to take a chance, so while in the distance overlooking the farm, he said to us, "Okay, guys, stay out here for a while. I'm going to check if the owners are cool to let us in."

"I'm coming with you," Audra said.

"Me too," I added.

"Me three. . ."

Even Neil had wanted to go.

Hanz, pouting to us, said, "What's the use of this covert operation if all of us are going anyway?" He pointed to Audra. "You, come with me. Neil and Pax, I'm sorry but you have to stay here."

My gaze went to Audra's, but she was already making her way.

And with Hanz by her side, they started to go to the farmhouse, presumably to ask for permission, even when Audra didn't look like she really wanted that.

The two of them came back bearing good news after a few minutes. At least that was what Hanz looked like, as he bounced back to us, Audra still by his side.

He hadn't even finished going under the tree where Neil and I had rested when he said, "The owners are old. Really old." Then moving his arms animatedly, continued. "They also had an old computer. Like those awkward, awkward ones I'd only seen on movies. Do you know how cool is that?"

Neil, rising up, slapped the other guy's hand, asking in return. "So what did they say?"

"Say about what?"