Insights: @Home

Okay so we had to leave at some point. I left for home, and Rain left to head out to the beach. I wanted to go with her, but I've been gone for a few days. 'I wonder if my parents have noticed' I wondered. I soon made it home, and as soon as I opened the door a gruff, dirty hand pulled me in by the front of my shirt. 

"Lousy kid. Where the hell have you been?" my father demanded to know.

"Out" I answered blankly. My expression was blank and calm, but inside I was afraid for my life.

"Liar, I bet he was screwing around with the swim team girls" my mother said from behind. 

"Can't win, can't make the football team either. I'm sure you'd love screwing around" my father screamed in my face. All of the sudden I felt a sharp, sudden pain to my lower body. I was dropped to the floor holding back whimpers and cries of pain. He'd brought his knee up, and was now beating me with his cold hard fists.

"Won't be able to have children afer I'm done beating you" my father grunted inbetween punches and kicks. He kicked my head, my legs, in the groin, and punched my arms and my neck. I felt awefull. There was so much pain it was undescribable. Words were made to describe things, but you couldn't describe this pain. 

"A shame the family may end with him" my mother muttered to herself. I tried to protect myself, but most attempts were futile. At some point I began to feel swollen from the bruises forming and sticky from... from blood. Funny, I don't remember recieving a cut to my forehead. The feelings began to numb into nothingness. 

Finaly it stopped and I picked myself up only to be shoved to the ground outside. I gapsed, the wind had been knocked out of me. 

"Stay out ya filthy vermine" my parents snapped at me. Something landed beside me. My eyes widened when I saw the sparks and heard the sizzling. I struggled to pick myself up and limped away. There was a loud blast and a huge puff of smoke as the small bit of dynamite went off! Multiple sticks were thrown. It was illegal, but if it killed me a burden would be lifted. 'Sometimes I wonder if I should have died a long time ago' I thought grimly. I decided... no I couldn't go to the beach. Both my eyes were swollen, and black. My legs andd arms both badly bruised beneath my jeans and hoodie also. Now I couldn't say I may have a terrible life at home, but I still had a home. I had no home. No where. I'm alone... So alone... Sure I was saving money for a dorm, but it wasn't enough. I sighed softly not knowing what to do with myself. I couldn't die, I was going to.... I wanted to stay here.... with Rain. It put a faint smile on my face. 'Oh Rain. What do you see in me?' I wondered curiously. I found myself heading towards the beech now. I guess I was going to the beach.

Rain:

I went out from the sand into the water. As my skin touched the ground my body changed. My tail with its polar bear-like fur, water proof, light, yet warm. I swam underwater. I took a deep breath. Breathing underwater felt weird, yet natural. My straight blonde hair flowed smoothly in the crystal clear water. I swam by fish of all sorts. As a mermaid a whole new word was opened up. We could go to great depths beneath the waves that submarines could not. In fact most marine biologist, and deep sea divers are mermaids (or mermen). My fingers grasped the necklace I wore, it was still there. I sniffed the underwater air, something was nearby. 'Perhaps a shark' I thought. Sharks weren't too much of threats, not with our speed, but the Sharkires were definetely an issue. All of the sudden something whizzed by! I felt a stab to my lower fins. a could of red  swirled around me, my blood. I winced in pain in my fin. Again something whizzed by. Like an octopus it wrapped around  me. 'Sharkire!' my mind screamed at me. I'd left these waters because of them, and now that I was just visiting I was being attacked! I wriggled and squirrled against my attackers. A bubbly voice spoke,

"Not bad for your first hunt" said Simon Compton, a sharkire.

"She smells delicious" said a familiar, yet unfamilar. The familiar voiace belonged to a blonde with grey eyes, and a truly fabulous surfers tan. My eyes met his, Mac Daldore. An old friend of Derricks, but now he was his tormentor, just a bully. Suddenly I felt teeth sink into my neck, multiple fangs from multiple sides. I couldn't breath as Anise, Doug Clemens, Sean Cole, and Mac fed off of my blood. I was too weak with the amount of blood being constantly drawn. They were like leaches attatched to their prey. I sunk downwards into dizzy unconciousness. 

I coughed and gagged. A hand pressed down on my chest causing me to spew up more water. 'How much water had I inhaled?' I wondered. My eyes opened to blurriness, and then a purplish, blackish face looked at me from under a hood.

"Derrick?" I whispered his name. 'This couldn't be Derrick' I thought looking at his face with great concern. It worse than ever! I loved seeing his face, but I hated the condition he was always in. He sat down on a rock wit ha small whimper of pain that escaped his lips. 

"W-what happened to your foot?" he asked me. I'd changed back sometime in my unconciousness. Probably why I inhaled so much water, too. My foot, which had been a fin, had been clawed or bitten. It stung and burned, it ached and throbbed, but I couldn't do anything about it.

"Tell m-me what happened t-to your foot" he stuttered, he winced in pain. I could tell he was trying not to show the pain he was in. It hurt me to see him in pain.

"Sharkires" I muttered quietly. He reached into his backpocket and pulled out a few bandaids I'd given him once. I let him put it on my foot, and pull my into his arms which were bruised terribly. I closed my eyes and imagined us without this pain. Again he examined my foot, looking to make sure I was okay. It hurt a lot because they had viciously swiped me with lethal claws. I was lucky though they hadn't litteraly taken a bite out of me. I shuddered at the thought of their teeth tearing me apart limb from limb... Such cruelty. I looked upward at Derrick, though my vision blured making him look like a brownish, grey, orange blob. To think this had happened to me, but all I wanted was to return to the water for a few hours. My natural home wasn't safe anymore.

Derrick:

Once again I was holding her. She appeared very confused though. Her eyes were foggy and their were multiple bite marks in the side of her neck. When I'd found her, she had  been washed up unconcioius on the beach. The four bite marks looked raw and savage. I tried to cover the wounds, but it caused her great pain. 'Poor lovely love' I thought grimly. Her eyes closed, probably asleep when I heared foot steps. I whirled around expecting the leaches, but it wasn't them.

"Rain!" Adam Pratt and Seth came running up towards us.

"What happene-" they began to ask me, but their eyes flickered to the bite marks. I nodded my  head, and they instantly understood.

"Poor girl" Adam muttered patting her head. 

"We should move her somewhere warmer" Seth suggested. We three guys, with Rain who was asleep, crammed into Adams car and drove back to the dorms. Once Rain was settled in we left.

"We have to do something about the sharkires" Adam muttered.

"They're supposed to leave if we win the swimming finals" Seth said looking at me with a triumphant grin, he knew I was going to compete in it. I hung my head though, half shamefully and half in doubt. 'Could I really win? Could I save the school from such evil' I wondered shamefully, 'and would they leave if we really do beat the sharkires?' I thought in doubt.