Ch.3 La Push Beach

Harper and I made our way to the Jeep in the school parking lot. Neither of us had our own cars, but we practically claimed the Jeep as ours since dad always used his work car most of the time.

We made our way to the elementary school to pick up Heidi. Since she was only in first grade we were required to go in and get her. I jumped out of the Jeep and made my way into the school. They directed me to the cafeteria and once I got in there I automatically spotted Heidi by herself at a table. She drew on a paper with her legs swinging back and forth, her face blank.
"Are you looking for someone dear?" A older women questions.
"Oh, yes. I'm here to pick up Heidi." I say and point toward her. The women looks over and her face automatically shifts.
"She has quite the personality." She states.
"Oh, I know." I sigh out before she goes over to Heidi. Heidi looks over at me and quickly shoved everything in her bag before running over to me. I was about to greet her before she hides behind me and glares at the women.

"I'd check Heidi's folder." The women says before walking off. I stare down at my little sister before sighing out.
"What happened?" I ask as we walk to the Jeep. She crosses her arms and stomps to the Jeep, refusing to talk.
"Heidi." I warn as she opens the back door of the Jeep and hops in. I buckle her into her booster seat before getting in the front seat.
"How was school?" Harper asks, driving off.
"I miss Hawai'i." Heidi mumbles out making us both look at her through the rearview mirror.
"Let me see your folder." I state. Heidi groans and throws her backpack through the two front seats making Harper swerve.
"Hey! Watch it!" Harper shouts. I grab her bag and pull out her yellow folder only to find a referral slip inside.
"Heidi, you got into a fight?" I groan out.
"She was testing me!" Heidi says in defense.
"How?" Harper asks.
"She was making weird faces at me and I told her to stop! She then threw paper balls at me and said I had a weird voice, so I stabbed her with a pencil." Heidi exclaims drastically. Harper and I side eye each other before looking back at the road.

"Heidi, you can't do that." I say.
"You don't think I know that? I hate it here. I thought it would be fun, but everyone is mean, pale and boring." She groans and hits her head against the back of my seat.
"It will get better." I say.
"Ha, yeah right." She says before it grows quiet. We were greeted with an empty house when we got home. Our parents both worked in Port Angeles, so we won't expect them to be home until 7pm since they both worked hearty jobs with long hours.

"So, we got no food." I state while looking in the fridge.
"Not even spaghettiOs?" Heidi questions from the couch while watching Spongebob.
"Nope. All we have is bread, milk, condiments and some meat." I state.
"We can go get food." Harper states while walking into the kitchen.
"With what money?" I state in confusion.
"Mom gave me her card this morning. We can go food shopping." She says and I nod in agreement. The ride to the supermarket was boring and there wasn't much conversation. Everything was pretty calm, until we got to the store.

"God damn it, Heidi. Put that back before you hit someone." I state and watch her bounce the large air filled ball around.
"I won't hit anyone." She says with an eye roll before throwing the ball at one of the many freezers causing it to bounce off quickly and hit her in the face. She stands there in slight shock.
"See, I told you. Go put it back." I demand.
"I don't want to." She wines.
"Would you two stop." Harper hisses before throwing chicken nuggets into the cart.
"Harper, can I get this ball?" Heidi asks.
"No, put it back." She says as we start walking. She groans before stomping off leaving Harper and I shopping. Heidi was quite the person. She was social like Harper, but very outspoken, sassy, curious and dramatic. She didn't have an issue stating her opinion or telling someone off. She carried herself very well for a six year old.

A good seven minutes have passed before I realized she had yet to come back. "Where did the little shit go?" Harper wonders and looks around.
"I swear to god, she will be the death of us." I state and look around. I quickly leave Harper's side to go look for my devil of a sister. I first checked the toy section, but was surprised to not find her there. I stopped when I heard her familiar voice talking. I quickly round the corner to find her talking to a guy and a girl who looked to be around their earlier 20s's. They both had russet colored skin like Jacob. The guy looked like a Moke; built and strong looking. He was very tall while the women besides him looked to be around my height, her face looking slightly deformed from where I was.